Illegal to sell eggs??

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Mudman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Given that there has been a death in Brisbane in the past week from salmonella from contaminated eggs I do think there needs to be some form of quality control around egg sales.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Handling from the moment of death till service. When it comes to Charcuterie, blood is the enemy, fat is your friend.

Fresh pig raised well, no issues here having it pink, but from the 'Supermarket' or some other place... ..no thanks.

5. Grasshopper

Dont tell the boudin noir and black pudding eaters.

Wondering if that is related to Kosher laws which were written pre refrigeration and for a desert climate.
    Salt is the most important part as meat stored airtight under a layer of fat is likely to get botulism.
    High humidity and low temperatures during fermentation is crucial too.

I understand when you have meat in the fridge, the blood goes off before the meat does so I have a tray that raises the meat from the blood.

I was just wondering whether with chickens it might also be the breeding
    Chicken was a luxury not an every day item only a generation ago,the factory farming and genetics may have altered.

I remember catching some US cooking contest on TV were the contestant got instantly eliminated for using raw egg in a mayonnaise.
    I dont think its illegal in Australia
    I know I do it all the time and never had any problems.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

omg I laughed so hard I cried since raw egg is NEEDED for proper emulsification of mayonnaise.

Kosher laws, hard to say, equally hard to say for Halal laws for Muslims. I know for Muslims it is more about properly thanking god and the animal with prayer prior to death. Kosher laws always seemed to deal more with desert living like you were eluding to Grasshopper.

Here is a raw recipe that may surprise some of you.

Take raw egg, place in a glass.
    Take a shot of Bourbon, rum, or some other high proof liquor.
    Stir till well blended.
    Garnish with dash of cinnamon

You just made original eggnog.

7. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

For years, including when I had the little second-hand bookshop, a local farmer's wife would bring many cartons of eggs to town every Friday to sell to long standing customers. She would drop two dozen off at my shop, I would pay $6 for them (total) and an elderly man and another lady would come in late in the day and collect their dozen and pay me back. Other customers included the local Health Food Shop & Cafe and the butchers and many others in the main shopping streets.
    All of which was illegal because she didn't have a license to sell eggs. No-one cared about that and I don't think hardly the lady herself nor many of her customers even considered for a moment that it was illegal. No doubt they would have ignored it anyway as sensible farming folk are want to do. Seriously, how many people (millions in Australia alone?) are eating how many eggs (tens of millions?) each year, year after year, decade after decade......and how many unfortunate folk have died from a contaminated egg?

Paka wrote for reason for editing: 'weirdness occurred' .................Story of my life! :D

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

How on earth do you make mayonnaise without egg? It's just oil without it… Shudder to think about what weird artificial egg substitute they suggest instead….

9. Grasshopper

Dont know if its poached first??
    Original recipe for Ceasar salad is virtually a garlicy mayonnaise
    The re-worked ones you see are probably a thick vinaigrette (possibly a commercial mayonnaise) and poached eggs.

or plasma
    https://www.euronews.com/2011/03/28/bacteria-free-eggs-thanks-to-plasma-technology/
    or newked in the microwave
    https://articles.chicagotribune.com...3_1_yolks-raw-eggs-hollandaise-and-mayonnaise

When I lived in Melbourne old Vietnamese women and men used to sell Duck eggs in plastic bags on the side of the road in Richmond.
    Pretty sure they didnt have a licence
    That was only 7 otr 8 years ago

10. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I only get black pudding every now and again since it is highly regulated in the US(can only buy imported Irish black pudding from a not-so-local Indian-ran store...only place I can get short grained rice too). I ran in to another British expat at a garden show and he told me they make blood sausage "in the bayou"...unfortunately, I didn't write the info down.

Anyhow, I'd rather eat an egg from my own back yard than from a factory. The only time I eat raw veggie is from my backyard. Everything else gets cooked(I don't eat store-bought lettuce). Unless you're silly enough to eat a veggie with bird scat all over it, and if you wash your hands before harvesting(especially important if you touched chickens first), then you should never get sick from your own garden. Food contamination is mostly from the handling and packaging aspect. Having said that, I assume there are some rare instances of soil borne diseases, which is the reason that raw manure shouldn't be used in a veggie bed unless it's composted(either in situ, or off site). Best management practices is one of the things new gardeners should find out about, and it's one of the few things that can be standardized.