ideas for soil improvement

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by MonteGoulding, Mar 13, 2009.

1. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

Hi

We are building and have about a 1/4 acre of flat cut and fill of red dolerite silty-clay subsoil. The slab has been poured and we are thinking we would like to put some mulch down so the place doesn't go muddy in winter. We have a large pile of topsoil to return to the area. Sawdust is cheap or free in our area and we can get tree mulch and chicken manure relatively cheap. Council compost needs to come for an hour drive so I'd like to use as little as possible. I believe I can get newspaper fro free but I'm unsure if I need it if there are no weeds to smother??? We are also building strawbale so there will be lots of loose straw flying around in a month or so.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone wants to give us some ideas on sheet mulching with these resources but the end result would need to be mud free on top and easy to walk on to move materials around?

Cheers

Monte

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: ideas for soil improvement

If you're building, dealing with the mud problem should probably have priority.

Is the tree mulch shredded into small chunks? If so, I would lay down the free sawdust, rake it fairly level, then add a good layer of tree mulch on top (should also give better traction when wet). As long as what you put down is organic, it should break down sooner or later.

Once the house is finished and you can start making plans as to what to plant, you could top the mulch with some material that is high-nitrogen (speeding up the breakdown of the tree mulch), and/or sow a good nitrogen-producing cover crop to give the same results.

Just don't start planting right into the tromped-in tree mulch, because the sawdust and tree mulch will take up any nitrogen that is in the soil until they break down. Start building your own compost pile if you have any ingredients at all. You don't have to get scientific, just pile up organic materials -- it will be compost eventually.

Sue

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: ideas for soil improvement

Sue is right sawdust dug into soil will lock up the nitrogen. Best to mix or compost it with the chicken manure ( high N)
    Shredded paper can be used as a mulch.
    Shredders cost between $25-$100 or you can put it though a garden plant- shredder.
    You might like to consider tossing some gypsum around the clay to help break it up and improve drainage.
    Use a range of manures and mulches if you can.(they all encourage their own suite of "wee beasties")
    Sugar or molasses will also kick start wee beasties
    Use fish or seaweed too if you can.
    Also make, add or buy some charcoal- use as a mulch or incorporate it .

Keep doing this for 20 years and you will have brilliant soil :D