Ideas for recycling timber fence?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by darrenhatina, Oct 19, 2004.

1. darrenhatina

darrenhatina Junior Member

Hi gang,
    My neighbour and I are replacing an old timber fence that is well past it's due date. The fence is 28 metres long and there's a fair bit of sound posts, rails, and pickets. Rather than tossing the whole bit in a skip I was looking for any suggestings on permaculture uses for a suburban backyard. Any ideas appreciated!

Best Regards,
    Darren
    (Gold Coast, QLD)

2. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Try making tomato stakes from the pickets. A couple of passes with a circular saw and its all done.

Just a thought

3. bluepablo

bluepablo Guest

maybe a compost bin for veggies or a raised bed?
    perhaps a new cold frame?
    new wheelbarrow or high wheel cultivator?
    replacing handles on hand tools?
    small bins for seeds or maybe hiding places for beneficial small animals like frogs and toads?

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Depends what the dimensions of the timber is?!?.... i picked up almost 40 4"x2" by 2mtrs height for $20 at a farm sale... i have been using mine to extend chook runs and making a goose pen :D ... hardest work is digging the holes....

let us know what u come up with...

Dave

5. Guest

recycling timber fence

We made a rabbit hutch out of ours. They are our lawn mowers!

6. Guest

A few years ago I made all of my christmas gifts out of an old fence - bookshelves, photo frames, serving trays....the possibilities are endless. Even had a few requests from the recipients to make some things for them to give as gifts also.
    I have also wooden fence pailings used as an ionternal lining material with some good results.