I want to be an AID WORKER

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by fuzzy butt, Aug 11, 2008.

1. fuzzy butt

fuzzy butt Junior Member

I've just thrown in my counselling course. ($5000) wasted . I decided I dont' want to sit and listen to druggies and beaten wives and criminals. I want to help on a realistic scale. So apart from doing courses at TAFE could someone fill me in on practical courses and training so i can become the best god damned aid worker in the history of mankind? (yeah I know, that was a little over the top :D )

I havent been this excited about a decision in sooooo many years. I've always just plodded along and I came here to find out about chooks and compost . And then I was having a heated debate about war and starvation on another forum, and it struck me, OH MY GOD. When I was a kid I wanted to be a missionary (okay stop laughing , that's not going to happen these days :lol: ) And then I look at my "favourites list" and it's full of counselling sites, permaculture sites, self suffiency sites, home made toy sites, and the list goes on......It's been under my nose all along. Great i hit 40 and suddenly know what I want to do with my life :shock: Just have to add to that list fitness sites and I'll be set.!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

2. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Re: I want to be an AID WORKER

Hi, Fuzzy. It depends what sort of aid you want to do. I have been to a couple of places as a midwife and seen the efforts of people who can build, work computers, etc. They help doing practical things in the day like sump-sewerage pit digging, painting, etc. And when there is a few hours of electricity they help locals learn the internet and teach English. What sort of skills do you have? Can you get aligned to a philanthropic group such as Lions Club to help out with airfares? Do you have another language such as French or Spanish (many big agencies require another language)? I have been to East and West Timor and seen what individuals can do with a few weeks here and there, but what most need is a sustained presence to help the people develop themselves rather than come in and fix something then head out again. Where are you in Gippsland? There might be some agencies there who could point you in the right direction. Trish

3. fuzzy butt

fuzzy butt Junior Member

Thanks for the info Trish I'll look into it. :D
    i'm still looking at training courses etc. at the moment.

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Fuzzy butt,

If you are serious about working in the developing world, I suggest you get some training in the developing world. A good foundation of time spent in the developing world and developing a skill set useful for the developing world would be a good first step. I will toot MMRFs horn here, but we have provided training to extension officers from NGOs and Minstry of Agriculture here, as well as Peace Corps, and can give you plenty of hands on training. If you have time, a three month internship here would be a valuable experience for your future.

PM me if you are interested.

Christopher

5. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

I believe that the PRI is running an aid worker course, and I have heard that there are going tro be aid worker 2 week courses at Tagari farm, Tylegum, which can lead into 3 month course.

Try emailing Tagari.

T

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

If you have invested a fair amount of time and money into the counselling course ...Finish It...you may be surprised at what you can achieve with those skills. Druggie's and battered women aside there is much to be gained from having good communication and listening skills which is the basis of counselling. You don't need to look overseas there is much to be done here in your own backyard
    Cathy

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Fuzzy,

I concur with Cathy. Finish what you have and then look locally. This forum is already advertising and soliciting work in our field. This will be a growing trend and it is not being generated by 'friendly' the demand for Permaculturists is growing, and growing exponentially.

There have been a number of jobs advertised here. I think they are a drop in the bucket. If you wish to advertise on this forum, your skills and aspirations, you may be surprised the responses you get.

Cathy is right though. If you wanna be a paid up Permie, it will help if you are a qualified counsellor/nurse/pilot/publican/bottlewasher first. Two qualifications never hurt.

I believe we are on the cusp of Permaculturists being an integral part of government in Australia and elsewhere. Jeff, Darren, Robyn [to name a few] are already examples of this and they are not the founders just the students. We have a couple of brilliant students who frequent here namely eco and ichisani.

I am generally not smart enough to quote lyrics but in respect to permaculture, this is worth doing:

from Status Quo.... :razz:

cheers,

8. patrickk

patrickk New Member

Red R offer very good courses on working overseas, I highly recommend them. I am also involved with Engineers Without Borders who have several overseas postings per year predominantly in sanitation and power roles but also in sustainable farming. There are lots of other agencies who do the same thing, but intake often takes months. Try finishing your course while applying for roles overseas with your chosen NGO.

9. fuzzy butt

fuzzy butt Junior Member

you know guys? You've given me heaps to think about, I havent changed my mind or anything, but you've helped a lot. Thank you sincerely.

megs.