I saw Geoff Lawton asked for help from the Permaculture Community

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I saw Geoff Lawton asked for help from the Permaculture Community

He wanted to know what we all would like to learn, I guess he is looking for a new project.

I for one know of a combined topic, and I admit a biased one.

Terracing Permaculture for Humid Cool Environments

My area has unique issues from huge monocultural forests and flat out deforestation to problems with terracing on sharp hillsides. Fog & wind problems, and lack of light in winter.

I would also like to see a dvd of project ideas, DIY's from people all over. For example some people might make great chicken tractors, but someone else can cob up an amazing outdoor kitchen or is great at using roses to make paddocks for free range chicken and turkeys.

Those are just 2 ideas off the top of my head.

Let's come up with some ideas for PRI!!!!

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I would like to see chapter fourteen at the top of the agenda with community and legal structures featuring in pc - in balance with food forests and swales

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'd like to see one (or even several) DVD(s) on Water - how to build a grey (or even black) water filtering reed bed, how to set up your own rain water tank, "guerrilla plumbing" skills - like how to plumb the rainwater tank into your kitchen when the council says you can't, how to maintain a rain water tank, how to select a pump that's right for your job, making ponds, dams and swales, Keyline and other techniques for storing water in the soil profile. What to put in your pond or dam and how to maintain it.

4. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

I second the idea for a DVD on water as eco mentioned. Combine that with Pakanohida's interest in montane humid & cool environments and it would make for a great cinematography on top of the knowledge gained by all.

I'm also very interested in heat traps, using ponds for warmth, and generally how to thrive in the far north. Say, Finland's latitude ;)

One other thing I would like to see, and this isn't a DVD, would be more on the wildlife that have moved into people's sites. I routinely read about all sorts of animals visiting people's gardens. Oftentimes, especially in suburbia, we are the only abundant source of food for many creatures. While it may be anything from disappointing to devastating to lose a crop, I think people might enjoy seeing pictures or videos of what folks are encountering. Listening to the podcast Geoff Lawton did with Paul Wheaton, you can hear birds from his end of the line. Their calls were captivating, as we don't have anything that sounds like that around here.

Planet Earth meets Permaculture.

5. springtide

springtide Junior Member

I'm in for Eco's "guerrilla plumbing" too and a bit of guerilla electrical for grid tie inverters, let's face it if it was all legal in every state and country the dvd wouldn't last a minute.

6. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I'd like to see a primer on how to run a PDC. I don't mean teach one, I mean set up one up (finding teachers, budgeting and finance, appropriate space and time, accommodation, catering, etc).

8. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

would these dvd's be free by any chance? :)

I think the way we communicate online is about to change a lot in this next 5-10 years.
    and video is going to be king, all the words in the world and every podcast known to man is nothing compared to vision.
    most of what has been written here will be obsolete as no one will bother to look to read.
    there's already been hundreds of little tid-bits in posts that are gems but they are lost in the myriad of text.

I think it's time a lot of online forums, but in particular this one needs to step up to the technological plate.
    it's been written many times about swales, comfrey, solar this and that but it's all in wasteland, this forum should go video.
    i'd start right now, or start of the new year, go away from all this text stuff, put aside into a forum archive section,
    and start fresh with a new way for us to communicate, little text, video orientated with a simple system that anyone can upload video into discussion.

there could be an area for set topics and moderators could place video's into it's relevant thread, say i upload a raised bed video, in the forum, if it's suitable the mods put it into the garden bed section of the video forum.
    so aventually, someone wants to know about raised beds, they go to the garden bed forum and atch all the compiled videos of garden beds, all in one video thread.

so i guess i'm trying to say that there should be this forum but a new forum for video only, and only mods can add videos to that forum from the text forum.

oh now i'm confused.

9. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    >>would these dvd's be free by any chance?

Free as in costing nothing to access?

I can't see us going to video any time soon. In NZ we pay for broadband via data usage. I couldn't afford to be here if it was all video.

I'm also not sure how I would talk with people when I'm not willing to be online visually.

The text here isn't a wasteland. It's the footprints of our relating and connection.

10. FREE Permaculture

oh there still could be all the text aswell, it's just videos could be put into a new forum, so when the time comes,
    it's an easy shift into the new technology with a good foundation of videos to run with, it's just about being ahead of the pack as really, there only needs to be one main place to get all your permaculture info from, aside from discussions, a real database of real systems, like a one stop shop, will only be in one place so why not here?

they may pay per broadband use in NZ today, and you could still do everything you want to but in 5-10 years things are gonna change like we haven't really seen before and this kind of forum alone will get washed away unless it has the type of content people online in general will be looking for and used to.

11. macey

macey Junior Member

I just got back from a teacher training course with Geoff, one of the questions raised by a number of attendee's was whether chapter 14 should in fact be given a higher priority and earlier inclusion in a PDC.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Mr Free I think you'll find what you are looking for here - Free Videos

13. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    You're missing a few things. One is that the talking to each other here is at least as important as the information. How will that work on video? The other is that in ten years... I don't thin it's a given that tech will be still on its upward path. Peak oil and the global recession will have had impacts we can't see yet.

14. FREE Permaculture

I think if you could be put to sleep for 10 years from today and woken up, you'd freak out at what we're gonna be up to.
    the difference this next 10 years as apposed to the last 10 years is like 50 years, maybe a gazillion years in some peoples minds.
    the iphone 4 is the equivalent to the telegram compared to what it will be in 2022, but i understand we still need to talk and text is handy like that, but i'm talking about digging a hole for instance, you can talk about it until your blue in the face, but a video shows it all in a minute.

anyways, i wish there was a tech' guru listening and came in to give us a more technologically minded opinion of where tech' will be in 5-10.

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

//steers the train back onto the tracks....

I know we all focus on the garden, but what about a project dvd of things for zone 1. The grey water wetland thing Eco suggested, solar collecting on the roof for hot water, etc. Things like that to help make zone 1 more self sufficient.

16. FREE Permaculture

haha, na not quite....

17. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Video is a great medium for conveying certain information, but text has a major advantage over video in that it is searchable. Video is only searchable to the degree that it has been meticulously tagged.

If I want to find info about a particular plant species, I can do a search and have specific information from who is growing it in what climate zones from a wide variety of sources, PRI, permies.com, gardenweb, davesgarden, etc. etc.

With a video, if I'm lucky i'll find something with a relevant tag, and then possibly have to watch 1 hour of video, possibly not even finding the info I am seeking.

I also think photos can sometimes convey more detailed info than video. For example, video, especially youtube quality, is not very useful for plant ID, hi res photo is.

All of the mediums are useful, sure I'd love to see more free, and better quality video resources, though I don't think it is on Geoff to provide that.

Getting back on topic, I would like to learn more about greywater, plumbing and electricity hacks...

18. FREE Permaculture

your basing it on what you know today, not what's in the future :)

but yeah anyway, lets talk electrcity hacks :think:

19. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Those are good points Yukkuri. Still images have the same tagging issue (which is why google images search is still so crap).

I hope Geoff does more audio with Paul Wheaton.

20. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Electricity hacks have a dangerous potential. Plumbing hacks, if blackwater is left alone, is much less of a risk.

I think Eco's idea is great and she should email that directly to ecofilms.