I got an extra week!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by WNWIII, Jun 11, 2007.

1. WNWIII

WNWIII Junior Member

Hello all,

I am from Louisiana and am scheduled for the PDC course for July 1st at the Channon. I orginally had only planned on staying for the duration of the course and leaving immediately following, but I managed to squeeze an extra week of vacation out of my boss :) So I will have a free week from July 14th to the 21st.

So I need some ideas of what would be some interesting things to do in that area while I am in town. Any suggestions would be welcome....it will only be me and a backback.

Thanks in advance,
    Will

2. tomintaz.

tomintaz. Junior Member

Howdy Will,....

Hiya Will..

some overview(s) of what you could do.. or if you like, use the PRI Farm as a "base" to explore from afterwards, that's cool to.

Editorial Courtesy Lismore Tourism
    Think far north coast NSW and think lush. Even the most severe drought can't stop the greenery from thriving in this little pocket of the country. This region was once covered by the largest expanse of subtropical rainforest in the world, which grew from the ashes of an ancient volcano.

The coastline in these parts is a well-worn path by travellers of all ages, popular because it's beautiful, rural, lush and laid back. What so many coast-hugging travellers don't realise, though, is that just 30 minutes inland of Byron Bay https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Byron+Bay&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 are places that have all this, without too much of a crowd.

The villages of Lismore's hinterland have that undiscovered feel which is, getting harder to come by in these tourism-conscious days.

Lismore is situated 30km west of Ballina via Alstonville, or 35km south west of Byron Bay, via Bangalow. It is 80 minutes drive south of Coolangatta and two hours and 20 minutes from Brisbane.

While it is possible to drive through all the villages in the space of a day, your best bet is to spend a weekend in the region, either basing yourself in Lismore, or at one of the more interesting accommodation houses in the villages.

Pick up a touring map from the Lismore Visitor Information Centre before you head out of town.

Here's a brief guide to the highlights of each village.

Nimbin
    Best known for its alternative lifestyle and culture, Nimbin is 30 kilometres north of Lismore. Some of the sights of this community will certainly surprise you, so step out here and wander down the genuinely psychedelic main street.

There's a number of caf├ęs, the Nimbin Museum where you can learn about the colourful history of the town; the Hemp Embassy; and interesting places like the Djanbung Garden https://www.permaculture.com.au/, a Permaculture Centre; and the Rainbow Power Company https://www.rpc.com.au/education/traveltonimbin.html, where you can find out about alternative energy.

The Channon
    The Channon (pronounced Chann-on or Shann-on) is host to a monthly Sunday market that has a reputation for being the most colourful, creative and unique market in the Northern Rivers.

Just 15 kilometres from here, via Terania Creek Road is Nightcap National Park, https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.a...62?OpenDocument&ParkKey=N0062&Type=FACILITIES where you can do the very manageable 1.4 kilometre walk to Protestor's Falls, :wink: so named for the protests that took place there in the 1970s. Obviously the protesters won, preserving this special section of rainforest for all of us to enjoy.

3. WNWIII

WNWIII Junior Member

Thanks Tom

This is a great start....thank for the information. How many people are signed up for the July 1st course so far?