How to map contours and topography

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by 4G's, Apr 17, 2012.

1. 4G's

4G's Junior Member

I have an 80 acre property. Can anyone suggest methods to map contour and topography of the land? Thanks

2. petal

petal Junior Member

Hi 4G's,
    In Victoria I used https://www.farmingit.com.au/topo.php for a 100 acre property. They produced detailed contour maps at a very reasonable price. A fraction of the cost of getting surveyors in. The travel cost was more than the mapping costs, and it was still cheap, with a great result. They may know someone near you who does similar mapping.

Good luck.
    Petal

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Buy a "Dumpy" level ( not a million dollar laser type , like strong binoculars with cross hairs on a tripod ) and a surveyors staff or make a staff like i did ( plank of wood painted white and mark every 100mm with a dark marker pen ) and get a helper and do it yourself , ive surveyed contours and filled them in shifted them ect on my place of 1165 acres over the last 23 yrs its not hard , if all you want to do is mark level then its really quick , set up the rig and just use hand signals to move helper up or down slope to keep cross hairs on the same number on staff , mark ground then staff moves away say 15 steps then mark again ect ect . I used a piece of paper with a rock on it then shallow ripped the line , if you surveyed and ripped every 100 metres of slope you would have a pretty good mental picture of your place then you can draw , photograph whatever your happy with , of course steep land you would mark a lot closer together . It gets time consuming where you survey drains as your shifting the rig all the time as the staff disappears out of the screen as it works up the hill or downwards . You will spend time out there looking around and will learn a lot about your property , look look look .
    regards Rob