how many people can REALLY be fed from an urban lot

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paul wheaton, Oct 11, 2011.

1. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

This sort of test is very site specific. Soil, rainfall, water sources, growing temperature and how much time you put in which is a major factor. My food forest is going on 8 years now and I know it does not supply all of our needs. But if I needed to I could grow a lot more produce on this site. My food growing area is 0.5 acre.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Outside of extreme conditions, never raining or always raining I don't see the dificulty as long as you know your plants ( but then again that in itself may be my reason for not seeing the difficulty). Proper swaleing causing all water to be held as long as possible, tree layout, forcing all water inputs to flow into a underground storage so they can be reused. The article says the people have measured and utalized every part of the property and it still isn't enough. I'd like to see a walkthru video. Hey Paul, any chance of one out there somewhere? (Oh, and love your utube video collection)

4. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

Well, several recent videos give you some idea of their property. I have more coming. But I don't have a full walkthrough.

5. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Didn't mean a full walkthrough, just want to get a general idea of what they are working with and what they've been able to achieve thus far. You say there are several recent videos,, maybe I am overlooking them from the hyperlink you provided earlier. I'll take another look, but if not there would you be so kind as to pointing me too their hyperlinks? (Thanks for the assist