How do I get heads up on the weather?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by waynemus, Jan 29, 2007.

1. waynemus

waynemus Junior Member

Recently in my reading I have encountered the idea of plating inside 6 - 8 weeks prior to the last frost is due in the area. I am unsure when this would be for my area and was wondering if anyone else knew where to source such information.

Is it just a matter of personal observation?
    Can the Bureau of Meteorology provide such information?
    Are there local weather or planting guides for this purpose?
    Other than frost are there other weather conditions to keep in mind for planting? Where do I find out about these>

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Shack Living

Shack Living Junior Member

3. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I would think that frost would be a very localised phenomena, depending on topography and vegetative cover as well general climate information. You could get a rough idea from reading the bureau statistics probably, but then you'd need to find some gardeners in your area and pick their brains, and then look at the areas you plan to grow in, and observe and figure it out. Cold air sinks, so any low spots where air flow is impeded by a solid wall or similar will make frost traps. Mature trees tend to lessen the effects of frost, I guess they are good insulators and tend to keep things moving...
    If you are in a frosty area, one effect of "climate change" may be that frost events will become more severe and less predicatble, unfortunately...
    Sorry to end on a gloomy note. I don't know that much about frost, and that is okay with me!