How do I find out what nutrients a plant......

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Pakanohida, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

How do I find out what nutrients a specific plant accumulates? For example, dandelions bring up Si, Mg, CA, K, P, Cu & Fe. However, I want to find out what C. Sativa would bring up, and also, what of industrial hemp?

I am trying to do my own research. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. mullerjannie

mullerjannie Junior Member

This is a relatively old study but as the world goes it's been getting attentions because with spectroscopy one can analyze the material and find what it contains. I saw some articles on how plants are getting mined for gold. It's not economically viable (yet because there are cheaper gold around).

Even if research shows that dandelions contain some great stuff (which is true), it's pretty good stuff to know if you ever need to steam some dandelion (Tooth of a lion) leaves.

So if your soil is deficient in magnesium, you plant is not going to "make" it. This is why our veggies these days are not the same as those that the Egyptians ate. In ancient times rocks were ground into soil for plants to add minerals to plants for consumption. Today rocks are picked out of garden beds and put on a landfill, permies know better though!

You'll be surprised how little information we have on plants :)

We probably know more about water on mars than what's right under our feet!

So the answer is vague at best.

I think the key thing here is to remember plants can't make what's not there. I'm sure there is a healthy way to deduce what a plant might accumulate if you have enough experience.

3. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Pak, do you have access to a laboratory? chromatography or mass spectrometry are the fast, easy ways to determine the make up of any matter.
    Industrial hemp will have a very similar chemical makeup just smaller quantities of a few compounds.

4. goshenw

goshenw Junior Member

Permaculture Design
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Cool Temperate
  5. Rylan Zimny

Rylan Zimny New Member

Climate:
    Cold Temperate
    Regarding the fascinating remark about ground up rocks, we have a clever guy here in Canada that is selling such a product commercially now. I believe his name is John Slack and his company is Boreal Agrominerals found here: https://www.borealagrominerals.com/ .

May I ask what the purpose of your research is? Could this be a thesis paper?

Spectroscopy, as far as I know it, is the best way we humans have at this moment to test the composition of organic and inorganic material. I hope you have access to a high tech lab.

Rylan