How close to plant trees?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Louis, Mar 21, 2010.

1. lissodelphis

lissodelphis New Member

I have a slightly different, but closely related issue, that I would like help with.

I bought and planted a native (to the UK where I live) rowan tree, I then got sent another much smaller tree by the same company and they let me keep both. Our garden is tiny (we live right in the center of London) and didn't have enough space for another tree and the other plants we had planted, so I gave it to our neighbours.

They then planted it right next to the garden fence within a meter of our tree, I did mention they were probably too close, but our neighbours are not interested in gardening and its never been moved.Will it cause any problems being so close?

Ours is the larger tree and I'm not too bothered if it just stunts the growth, but I would be slightly put out if it kills ours or so some other negative effect.

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

lissodelphis, those trees have the potential to get to 30 feet and need that distance between them. Not to mention what's going to happen to that fence. Unless one of you espaliers it, or both, but eventually someone will let it go and it will get quite large. It's not likely that they will both make it, and the shade one creates for the other , plus overlapping of branches will make the sides of the trees that face each other flat because they will shade out growth on each other. Plus they are covered with berries which the birds will swarm, dropping berries and bird droppings.

They might end up looking like one large tree if they both make it, which might work landscape-wise.

But on the other hand, you'll have lots of great leaves for compost *s*