Honey Locust seeds

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Rick Larson, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Some of the best herbs you can't even opt to declare >.

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

i used a standard 2mm steel drill bit ,in a drill press, held with needle nose pliers!
    John Birmingham explains a lot about QLD in his book :'off ones face'
    im assuming hard seeded varietys are best for jewelry

3. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Andrew I really thing the decent thing to do is post photos when you make a statement like this!!!
    Cummone ... I wanna see it!
    :)

5. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

second

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

And I think you should model it :) :) :)
    Go on - you know you want to :)

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I've made quite a few stings of beads from seeds in the past. They're beautiful, but does get a lot more boring than I expected drilling the holes ... no pun intended :)
    How about you Stephy?What floats your boat on the craft/jewellery/creative stuff front?

8. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

I like petite / small jewellery nothing too chunky and cold colours.

Creative things:- Currently landscaping in a mini creek pond in my back yard.. once that project is done who knows!? maybe try this seed jewellery lol.

But the core I really enjoy sketching people, and what floating inside my noodle.

9. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    A couple of years ago, I was admiring the seeds of the Canna lily, but couldnt figure out a practical way of using them.....til this year when I happened to open a green pod and realised that I could shove a needle and thread through them.
    I'm pretty sure they are NOT edible Rick so no popping these, one can take experimentation alittle too far.

So far I've made a couple of necklaces/tripe wrapped bracelets and finally, with the last one, managed to produce one with the seeds all perfectly round.
    Mum and I both have these plants growing and for a while it was just a boring chore to carefully cut the pods out and dispose of them before they dropped their seeds everywhere. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to thread them all before they turn black and hard, which seems to happen all too quickly. The really immature seeds shrivel s they dry, which gives n interesting effect, but sort of makes them look like peppercorns or raisins.
    I'd love to do enough to make a bead door screen, using the immature ones to make some sort of pattern.
    Other seeds that I have been looking at this year, but not done anything with are the 4 o'clock marvel seeds. These are soft and have an unusual but nice shape.(and also a bloody nuisance sprouting everywhere).

On Honey Locusts...I had to dig my one out when the water tank got put in and forgot about it til it was almost dead. Popped it in a tub of water up in the garden and again forgot about it til this weekend when I found it again with lots of new leaves sprouting.
    Now I am trying to figure out where the best place would be to replant it. Any ideas?
    Does anyone use these seeds for food or are they only good for funky jewellry?

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'm wandering a bit off topic, but if people are into making art/jewelry out of natural and home grown materials, there are many varieties of beans (and as i'm finding out they are all quite willing to co-mingle with the aid of bumble bees). when i get the next stage of my project finished i'll be ready to get some pictures taken and posted (i have about 100 varieties depending upon how you classify them). once i have a good supply of any individual variety i'm always happy to trade with others.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Sheep food!

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

The bead screen door would be beautiful !