hmmm now for the really silly question

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ali_celt, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ali_celt

ali_celt Junior Member

When one is constructing a straw-bale no dig garden bed - which way does one place the bales?
    As in, cut end of straw facing upwards, or side of straw facing upwards??

I'm probably silly - but it does make a difference in the height of the garden bed and the width of the bed in total. And I'm doing it tomorrow so I want to do it right!

TIA
    Ali

2. Batz

Batz Junior Member

Your an engineer ain't you?

Batz

3. ali_celt

ali_celt Junior Member

LOL

Nope, arts student *grin*

but still - I'm pretty sure there's got to be a "right" way to do it! Like, maybe the straw will last longer if it's one way instead of the other....

see i don't know - advise me!
    ALi

4. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

Ali I once made a straw bale garden on a concrete driveway when I was living in the city. I lay the bales down - biggest side on the ground, not cut side up, and I poked seedlings into the straw and watered it. Can't remember doing anything else. Grew so many tomatoes that I was carrying bucket fulls to the neighbours!
    Now I'm out here in the bush with all the soil and manure and bore water I could want and I can't grow a decent tomato. I grow nice cherry tomatoes but I want some big red beautys. They always get eaten by grubs or attacked by a virus. Good luck with your straw bale garden and ask all the questions you want - better to look ignorant for 5 minutes than remain ignorant forever!

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member