High desert, S.W. USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Eaglegreen, Jun 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would love to have a compatible, peaceful, positive female companion. Anyone out there who'd like to

Poll closed Sep 3, 2016.
  1. Open to suggestions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Welcome constructive ideas.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eaglegreen

Eaglegreen New Member

Climate:
    High S.W. USA Desert, 6,000 ft. Altitude,
    Greetings from me and my critters--three cats--living in a small (10,000 pop.) mountain town (Silver C;ity) in th High desert (6,000') of S.W.New Mexico (it's not 'new', and it's not Mexico!) USA. In the past, in this location, I have raised rabbits, chickens, and ducks, had 3 raised bed gardens, plus a corn patch, and pole bean teepees ' out back'. Because of back problems, I'm pretty much limiting my gardening to my front yard and patio by the back door. In front, mixed in with flowers and flowering bushes I have tomatoes, parsley, a new, small asparagus patch, beans and cucumbers along a fence. Garlic is around all my rose bushes, where I have also planted basil and borage.On the patio in back. The bathroom window provides access of a hose through which I pump my graywater. I use a small fountain pump. I have peas, a couple of potato plants, more tomatoes, some lettuce and a small, struggling grape vine. I have there also two large plastic trash containers into which I pump my leftover bath water, sometimes with Epsom salts in it, or shower water, for watering patio plants and some flowers. When I finish cleaning away junk off the patio I have a free standing hammock and umbrella to go there. The climate is very dry here, frequent breezes dry soil quite rapidly making mulch a necessity. Sometimes we get a few Spring rains, we have a better chance at rain during monsoon season beginning about July 4th. Our annual rainfall is about 12", and our humidity usually hovers in the teens. I have a rotating composted drum on the patio, and a larger, pallet-sided compost bin down by the raised beds.I have two 250 gallon rainwater collection tanks to gather rain from off my house and workshop.
    I'm in the process of developing my ability to communicate with animals better, writing a couple of books, and I spend time helping friends and just enjoying them, and God, and life. I'm a retired Hospice Chaplain, love to read (mostly non-fiction) and being outdoors. I 'rescue' pallets and crate wood destined for the dump, take them apart and build other items: plant stands,, bird feeders, garden benches, etc.
    • Well, I hope this 'introduction' of myself and my beginner attempts at permaculture living gives you a fair 'picture' of me. (Not too bad for a 74 year 'old' woman, eh?) Thank you for welcoming me to your group.
    Blessings!

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    welcome to the forums Eaglegreen. scrounging can give so many useful
    materials. :)

and i certainly understand having to work around limitations and
    having to take some time to get things done. just gotta go with the
    flow.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Eaglegreen and welcome,
    Not bad? Actually your doing quite well! An impressive number of systems you've installed.
    At your elevation you must get some cold in the winter?