Hi

Discussion in 'General chat' started by jivah, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jivah

jivah Junior Member

Hi,

Just saying hello, me being all shiny and new. Starting to get into permaculture and trying to learn as much as possible. We live in central london but have recently bought a place that we are hoping to move to in a couple of years, if you want to take a look then there are pictures here.

https://www.artesanto.co.uk/house/index.html

Cheers

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Hi

welcome aboard,

waht is the aspect of the land ie.,. the high side is at what point of the compass?

the mind boggles at the likely cost of heating, they do have that romance about them don't they? anyway to each his own.

len

3. jivah

jivah Junior Member

Hi,

It's not too bad, we face straight south into the sun, and the walls are about half a meter thick. Having said that I have not been through a winter yet but I am looking forward to one. We have lots of woodland so fuel is the least of our problems, most of the trees are sweet chestnut so they can be coppiced.

Cheers

4. Hamishmac

Hamishmac Junior Member

Hi.

Wow, some place you've got. I suppose a couple of years will give you a good chance to observe what happens on the block: where water is permanent, where dries out, where the main prevailing wind direction is, where dew gathers, whether a freeze-your-ass-off wind rushes downhill at night, that sort of thing.

I suppose if you plant some oak right now, by the time you move in you'll only have 498 more years to wait till you've grown some new beams for the ceiling.

Truffle country?

Hamish

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

mmm a good aspect for your hemisphere, the trick is no how do you harness that winter sun into the house so it warms you with all that thermal material already there? though wooden floors won't do much for the thermal mass. take a look at our home we built that is facing north on northern aspected land (the right aspect for our hemisphere. all the glass faces north the capture as much of the winter sun, as we see it a necessary aspect for homes no matter which hemisphere they are in. the concept is for no windows or opening facing west and very minimal windows facing south [we ahd hoppers for x-ventilation] (north up your way) and few windows to the east. and of course casement and hopper windows along with louvres work the best.

len