hi

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Inge, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Inge

Inge Junior Member

I stumbled across this forum a week or so ago, and have been lurking ever since! I thought it was about time I came out of the shadows and introduced muself.

My name is Inge, and am located in the SE suburbs of Melbourne. I have afew chooks, a veggie garden and a few fruit trees. also lots of Eucalyptus trees. Soil is very poor in places, and is heavy clay.

I have 2 questions. Has anybody in the used Hippophae Rhamnoides?(chinese sea buckthorn) and... Scottie, how is that chook of yours? (the one with the lump on her face?)

2. seussrules

seussrules Junior Member

Hi Inge

I don't know the answers to your questions, but wanted to say hello, as no-one else has yet :)

I too am in Melbourne. It's great you have chooks - I'm still trying to work out if it's at all possible to integrate them with my dogs in a reasonably small backyard. I think the chooks might have to wait...

3. Inge

Inge Junior Member

Hippophae Rhamnoides

Thanks for the welcome, Seussrules.

My chooks have a fenced enclosure, where they are kept at night. My dog has been no problem to the hens at all, even when they're free ranging outside. Once he got used to the chooks being there - he pretty much left them alone.

I've been searching for information on the internet for Hippophae Rhamnoides, and it sounds like a "permie" type of plant. It succeeds in most soils, including poor ones, is drought tolerant, tolerant of maritime exposure, is a nitrogen-fixer, and also has nutritious edible fruit. But, it sounds that it might be a bit of a rampant grower though.

I checked for nurseries, but the only place I could find was located in Tasmania.