Hi I'm new

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Kath, May 3, 2005.

1. Kath

Kath Junior Member

Hi,never done this before, ok um, Iwas in Austrailia in 1997 and did a permaculture design course, I now live in Barcelona and about to buy a finca here. It is very dry with pine forest and almond trees. I know anywhere is permacultuable. What am i letting myself in for?

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Hi, Kath!

Have you found anyone doing Permaculture there in Spain? If you can, they may be able to give you some ideas and info. Plant guilds for local situations seem one of the most difficult to find info on. If someone has already started collecting info, you wouldn't have to invent the wheel from scratch.

What is a finca?

Sue

3. Kath

Kath Junior Member

Hello

Finca is a farm!

4. Cly

Cly Junior Member

What's your rainfall like? Any dams, streams, wells, bores on the property? Is anyone in that area growing anything and if so, what? They may have some old variety seeds that have already adapted to that region which could help you out and you can get a good idea by looking around to see what grows well in that region. What's the soil like? There are some great people here on this forum who come from all manner of different regions dry and wet and inbetween and I'm sure once you establish what your region is like and what your plans/dreams are, they can give you some pointers to look into.

What do you plan to do with your 'finca'? :) Market garden, living as self sufficiently as possible, a retreat, a mix of all of those or something else? Congratulations by the way and welcome to the forum :)

Have you checked to see if there are any permaculture/organic/seed saving groups around you? Are there any permaculture magazines printed in your country and if so, perhaps you could enquire to them and find some others around you who are living the dream.

5. Kath

Kath Junior Member

Hi Cly

_Thanks for your reply, yeah I've got loads to think about. I don't think there is much permaculture activity at the moment in the area.Basically primarily it is a retreat,I live in the city and it is a place to go at weekends and for holidays but in the future I'd like to live there as self sufficiently as possible. The rainfall has been really bad this year and there is no other water, I think catching what rain water we can is the best option. Where do you live?