Hi from the united States!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by drwizbang, Jan 19, 2011.

1. drwizbang

drwizbang New Member

In my research on Community Development, I find that after looking for information on subjects here in the US, its always best to search Australia too! Perhaps Australia fosters a greater spirit of independence, than the USA. (Some States are only now thinking about letting people here collect rain water, and oh, God forbid if we want to drink it.) I`m finding the best info. on Aquaponics, Rain water collection and the like right from your own backyard, keep up the good work. Looking forward to talking to you all.
    Richard

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Welcome to the forum Richard.
    Part of the reason that we look at water here in Australia may be due to it's rariety or it's excesses depending where you are in the country.
    The search function in the top right corner will reap lots of information and the "groups" part found under the "community" button at the top of the page has a very young discussion on aquaponics that you may wish to get involved in
    regards

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Yes its a tragedy of massive proportions that people are too clever to properly appreciate the simplicity and purity of natures functions for the want of finding a better way to say it. What i mean is scientists and technologists and experts in all fields are too clever by half. I have a fair degree of respect for scientists and experts but about some things, I could go crazy with the way they approach it down a microscope and ignore the big picture of history and how things have been done for eons. For example, the suspicions with which water in the natural environment is considered. I have been drinking untreated rainwater for a long time and I was shocked last year to hear that the experts have doubted its safety. And that this is one of the reasons why rainwater has not been collected in tanks in suburbs for perhaps the last decades really upsets me. That is only one example.

So do look well beyond the hygienic pristine shores of hi-tech america and also look into the dirty back streets of places like africa where i am sure you will find much age old wisdom that really works. Not to mention india, south america, other parts of the old world.

Apart from that PP is right. We've had drought here for the last 15 years apparently and everyone is terrified of running out of water so now they are finally starting to look at what else works.

4. Nain Dejardin

Nain Dejardin Junior Member

Welcome, DRWIZBANG!

I understand the frustration of waiting for the establishment to permit us to use nature as I believe it was intended. Once I started reading about food security i could not stop and it eventually led me to permaculture. I had to laugh at how simple life truly is if we don't get caught up in the system or the "preffered" way of thinking.

Good luck in your endeavors! See you around!