Hi From Texas

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Mimi, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mimi

Mimi Guest

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mimi. I live approximately 40 miles west of Houston, Texas, USA with my husband, twin boys and two boxers. We have five acres, four of which we maintain as a little natural prairie. My current interests include organic gardening, composting, and learning how to preserve the foods I grow. I am also interested in learning how to Identify wild plants and how to prepare them for the dinner table. I also work one morning each week at a CSA farm in return for a share of the harvest. I look forward to learning many things from this site.

Sincerely,

Mimi

2. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Re: Hi From Texas

Welcome, Mimi, to the forum. :D

I look forward to your input to the forums as well.

It would be great to get some info and pics from you on how the CSA you work for operates. CSA's are the future food source of our world I believe.

Cheers Kathleen :D

3. Mimi

Mimi Guest

Thank you for the welcome, Kathleen.

The CSA I work for is called Home Sweet Farm. It's run by Farmer Brad and his wife Jenny... a very impressive young couple. They deliver shares of their crops to various drop-off sites in Houston and in Brenham in Texas. I am closer to the farm than I am to any of their drop-off sites, so when Farmer Brad offered a work/share opportunity, I jumped on it. This is exactly what I was looking for. It's a wonderful way to learn how to grow food. The drive is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. I get some exercise. I have made new friends. On top of all that, through them, I found a dairy farmer who is supplying me with raw milk, raw cream and yoghurt (cow and goat). Soon I'll be making my own cheese.

Here's Home Sweet Farm's Website: https://www.homesweetfarm.com/

Once every month he has a Market Day where other local farmers come and sell their produce, including bread, eggs, chickens, grass-fed beef, veal, and lamb. One family is making wonderful cheeses, including gruyere and blue.

At the same time, I am learning how to grow my own vegetables as well as preserve them. I started out with tomatoes and I think I did quite well. I have several quarts of whole tomatoes as well as tomato sauce ready for winter time. We are lucky to have a wonderful fig tree and tonight I canned about 7 pounds worth. Later this week, I plan to can some tomato ketchup.

I have surrounded myself with wonderful, healthy, and organic food and I'm loving it. Unfortunately, it shows and I've put on a few extra pounds.

BTW, any other Texans in this forum?

Cheers!

Mimi

4. Comet

Comet New Member

Hi, Mimi:
    I'm new to the site too. We moved to Oregon from East Texas (Hallsville) about three years ago. When we moved to Texas, the best thing I did was to take the local Master Gardener's class. Almost everyone in the small class were organic gardeners, and I loved it. I took the same course here in Oregon, when we moved here. The Pacific Northwest is such a different climate. I was dismayed that almost no one in the class of over fifty people were organic gardeners and they even talked down about it. I was shocked, but hey, sometimes you just have to do your own thing.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work. Your family will be healthier and happier because of your efforts.
    Sincerely,
    Lisa

5. Mimi

Mimi Guest

Hi Lisa,

Wow, that's really surprising. I thought Oregon was a really green kinda state. I'm guessing you must be in eastern Oregon which is probably less organic-minded than western Oregon... that's just an impression I have of Oregon.

I just finished my certification as a Master Naturalist here in TX. One day, I plan to take the Master Gardener classes too. First, I think I need to get myself out in my garden more often and learn more about growing food. The work I do at the CSA has been very educational. Right now, I've got cucumbers and fall tomatoes growing in my garden and my husband is growing beans. I bought myself a canner and have already canned a bunch of tomatoes, tomato sauce, whole figs and two types of fig jam. We are very lucky to have a fig tree on our property.

Maybe you'll be able to teach the others in your master gardener's class about organic farming. Hope you enjoy this group as much as I do.

Sincerely,

Mimi

6. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

goodonya Mimi and welcome

finding the local wild edibles and useful plants is essential for people. when I was a kid (in the 60's) old people used to regularly pass on informatino that would be essential fro using wild plants.

it doesn't seem to happen nowadays

keep everyone informed of those that you do find

cheers

7. barely run

barely run Junior Member

welcome Mimi
    For your wild plants info try herbsarespecial.com.au...Isabell Shipard is a well known australian grower and promoter of herbs and that includes "Wild Weeds". She has published a comprehensive book .. How Can I Use Herbs in my Daily Life ... it is an australian resource but she has many contacts in USA and is a very helpul lady to deal with...she supplies seeds and plants world wide.
    cheers
    cathy

8. Mimi

Mimi Guest

Thank you, Cathy. I will check out her website today.

Mimi