Hi from northern California.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Honey Run Sandy, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Honey Run Sandy

Honey Run Sandy New Member

Climate:
    Mediterranian
    I live in a canyon in the Foothills on about an acre, mostly flat. I'm retired on a limited budget with a compulsion to grow WAY more food than I can eat. I experiment with all kinds of stuff but my follow through hasn't always been the greatest. I've got lots of fruit trees, rain gutter garden, raised beds, sub irrigated barrels, and 30 low chill apple trees from Kuffle orchard arriving in February. I plan to espalier the apples in horizontal cordons. I've also converted my 20 x 40 in ground swimming pool into a pond with lots of plants, mosquitofish, bluegill, catfish, koi, and goldfish longer than my hand. It's been one year since the last dose of chlorine went in and it's been a major learning experience. AND I wish I'd done it ten years ago.

I raise sheep and rabbits for meat. I used to do all my own butchering but now only do the rabbits unless my daughter's in town to help. I have two dogs and two cats, one daughter, and two grandsons.

The house has solar electric. Now I'm trying to figure out how to retro fit some kind of earth tube set up for summer cooling. Would also like it to help keep a greenhouse warn enough for avocado, papaya. mango, moringa, tomatoes, peppers,and melons.

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    hi and welcome, :)

you surely have ambition and have accomplished much already! great use of the pool!

the kids must love it there. :)

Pak is north of you in Oregon.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  4. Honey Run Sandy

Honey Run Sandy New Member

Climate:
    Mediterranian
    Thanks Bill. I notice you are using plain PVC? pipe for your tubes. Since I mostly see black ag pipe I 'm curious.. I've spent a lot of hours online researching what is the best pipe and backfill material and am still totally in the dark. It seems there must be some university somewhere that has done studies of this but I haven't found it yet. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

As for pics of my pond it's on Facebook. I want to do a Youtube of it and have taken lots of pics but that's a little (lot) above my computer skills right now.

5. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Sandy,
    The pipe is actually polyethylene triple wall (https://www.ads-pipe.com/en/product.asp?page=ads_triple_wall____smoothwall) .... main reason: it was the cheapest suitable thing I could find that wasn't PVC.
    Although I'm not sure it's always the case, when I see black pipe I assume it's ABS.
    If you post a link to your facebook page, I'd love to check it out!