Hi from Dunach, Central Victoria, Oz!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Mechandy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mechandy

Mechandy Junior Member

Hi everyone,

We're new to the forum and looking forward to finding and sharing some permaculture gems. We live on 10 acres in Dunach, Central Victoria (about 50 Km Nth of Ballarat) and we are in the very early stages of setting up a permaculture property, with self contained accommodation / a meeting space for people interested in learning more about permaculture.

My partner (Kris) is a Musician https://www.theunconventionalcellist.com and I tinker in the shed making Solar Cookers, Electric Assist and standard Bicycle Trailers out of as much recycled material I can get my hands on! https://www.mechanarchy.com.au I also repair bicycles and restore and renovate anything that can be fixed instead of being thrown away.

If there is anyone on the forum with a permaculture property close by (within 50 Km's / we don't own a car / only ride bicycles) and are happy for us to visit to share ideas, please let us know, we'd love to hear from you!

Cheers
    Andy & Kris

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Re: Hi from Dunach, Central Victoria, Oz!

Welcome Andy and Kris! It sounds like you're very busy. Have you done any work using solar for heating water? Perhaps adapting your solar cookers somehow? If you get a chance, post some pics of your place and activities.

= )

Bill

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Hi Mechandy & Chris,
    Welcome.
    Gee to visit us you don't even need a bicycle ( I hope--how do you generate electricity!):)
    We need a few more Engineer/mechanics on the forum, especially those creative with "junk"

Some interesting threads recently here on home made stoves etc. Do as search of the archives and feel free to revive any discussion you like.

4. Mechandy

Mechandy Junior Member

Hi Bill, Michaelangelica and Permie Members,

Thank you for your welcome. Bill, I have indeed been experimenting with Home-made Solar Hot Water Heaters and indeed Solar Wall Furnaces of various concoctions. I am yet to post them all on my website but will work on getting some photo's and details onto this forum.

I have been wandering through a number of postings, and as an Anarchist (Pacifist) I am buoyed by the vibrant debate occurring with 'ecodharmamark' and the various other contributors on the 'McDonalds thread'. I have a lot more reading to do but look forward to learning more and contributing in any way I can.

Michaelangelica, thank you also for your warm welcome. We are 'Off-Grid', Solar only with 'Fisher & Paykel' washing machine motor wind generator coming soon. We have now, but more importantly, will have in the future, the ability to power all our communication, refrigeration, lighting and other electrical appliance needs.

Solar systems, as they are currently produced and marketed, are totally unnecessary. Once we realized that and overturned the many other 'energy indoctrinations', we were able to look at energy and our needs in a far more objective way.

Kindest regards

Andy