Hi from Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Cade, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Cade

Cade Junior Member

I am glad to be involved in this forum. I have a new project in the north coastal mountains of the Dominican Republic and I will surely be seeking some advice here and there. I have moved an old sailboat up onto the mountainside and am currently living in it, but I want to build a "real" house further up the hill this year. I plan for the big house to have a dry toilet system with separation of solids and urine, and a gray water recycling system, and it will be solar-panel-powered and have rainwater collection for the water supply. The surrounding coffee farm is very productive with coffee and bananas and citrus, but I want to diversify the production considerably with an eye toward year-round food for me and my neighbors, and secondary emphasis on surplus production for sale in local markets. I would also like to try growing some tilapia in the gray water. So I will be checking in regularly...

2. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

So am I

Glad you joined the forum and you sounds like you are starting off right. Hey we have a Permaculture Farm in Los Brazos, maybe 30 minutes from Caberete. We just had a small Permaculture course and plan to do more programming more this upcoming year. We have a great collection of rare plants there and will be getting more very soon. Great resources to share. Where exactly are you. Feel free to contact me at treeyopermaculture at gmail.com

3. Cade

Cade Junior Member

I am near the town of Altamira up at the ridge of the Septentrional Mountains at elevation of 2200 feet or 670m. I look forward to meeting you cdoug_e - sent an email to you earlier as well. Any other members on Hispaniola? How about the Caribbean in general? Even though I am high and dry, I still live on my boat! See my Google+ profile photos for that story: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101758591683446323508

4. walkerb104

walkerb104 New Member

Uepa!

Hello there! I am a Peace Corps Volunteer living out in Rio Grande, near Altamira. I am Permaculture design certified, and I studied Ecological Design at the University of Vermont. In my community, we just built our own microhydroelectric system that is completely our own small grid, disconnected from the main grid. I would love to come see your farm! How can I get in contact with you?

Email: [email protected]
    Phone Number: 809-723-9818
    Blog: walkerabrown.tumblr.com

Let me know!
    -Walker