Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by JaninaG, Nov 24, 2013.

1. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Thanks Grahame, I am doing a lot of thinking and researching. Found out today that I can subdivide the property. I bought this place for many reasons, one being the cottage house, the other was that it was on a sloping plot and partially landscaped. but some of the work has been badly done. Now that it has been cleaned up by 99% it looks a lot better, the yard that is.

Apart from reading and checking the only thing I am doing right now is covering all the yard in small sections with all the cut grass and braches then wet paper and mulch which I have a pile of, I HATE the drive so thinking about how to fix the huge ugly blob of cement.... once that is all done and I dont have to look at weeds anymore, I will have a better idea. I still like the idea of a rock garden and natives to the East at front, and on the front East the layout is good and can be improved.

The back yard is 3 levels, the house is on the higher level with a rock retaining wall, the a pretty huge area so there is where I think the veggies can go... once the trees are removed. I also want to restore the old washouse into a studio. and keep it old style. I have lots of wood etc stored in garage. which is way to big . and beside the washhouse is a high fenced area which could be a greenhouse so I can have vegies in winter..

So while I am covering all the weeds and mulching and pulling out the weeds and ivy in amongst the rocks, I am looking at pictures and talking to the "original oldies " ... though am finding it hard to find simple, simple simple ideas and a lot of the ideas are so modern, I am sick of looking at plush modern boxes,

I figure I have time and I dont think I can plant too much in summer here in Victoria. and I am not in a hurry to rush, I dont want to redo anything. figured that it will take me a while to cover all the area with the wet paper and cardboard, so will have time to think.

Weird thing is I can find lots of ideas for inside the house, but the yard is a new thing for me.

Your idea and explanation sounds perfect.

My west side does have shading but I am thinking about the viability of transplanting some of the fruit trees there for food and shade, also a little more privacy as the next yard is slightly elevated to me so....

Thanks for your input. Am going to have to post some images, the few I have before I started and then when I was part through and currently..... cleaning up only.

A good part of the yard has been covered in mulch, and I guess I will have to rake that up and reuse it to save having to get more, or just leave it and let it decompose under the new layers ?

I agree, I need to think, and start a scrap book of ideas I like or like part of .

It amazing how much I have learnt in the past week and find it amazing that I go to UTube first for all DIY and have for years and didnt think of it for gardening :) sometimes my brain leaves my head and heads off to the bottom of the yard to spend time with the gnomes enjoying the bush feeling :)

2. pavelbentham

pavelbentham Junior Member

Thanks for sharing your story so far, Janina. I can't wait to spend more time at my block, observing its many features, conjuring ideas. Google Maps, Google Street View and a few photos that I took when I went and inspected it have been my source of fire.

A few things:

The driveway. Rip it up, I say. Do you drive? Is there sufficient parking elsewhere? If so, get rid of it. Use the space for something else - if it lends itself to something else.

Modern ideas. What sort of ideas have people been sharing?

Planting in summer. Don't let that stop you! There is plenty you can put in now to enjoy the yields in a few months time. I'm in Adelaide and my tomatoes have been struggling all this time - I planted them in early October. The temperatures have been fluctuating so much, I wish - but not too hard - the heat would kick in already. In the heat of summer, there is always some shading you can provide to keep the plants happy. If my plants can survive an Adelaide summer, they can certainly survive a Victorian summer. And, heck, sometimes we lose some. No biggy. At least you were in the game of obtaining a yield. If you don't plant anything, you won't get anything in return.

Start a small area - somewhere with decent soil, good sun, and good shading from the hot afternoon sun... maybe even some pots - and throw in some basil, tomato, capsicums, cucumbers, sweet corn and chillies. Perhaps start with seedlings. Sometimes the best way to start is by making a start. At least whilst you're thinking about the rest of your land you have some beautiful fresh produce on the go - really easy stuff, too!

Mulch. If it is doing a good job where it is, leave it. If it's not needed there, by all means move it to somewhere else. Get as much as you can out of it. Eventually it will just become part of the soil - a beautiful part.

Scrap book. Brilliant idea.

YouTube. Great, isn't it? You can learn anything via YouTube. How to sharpen a chainsaw. How to build a wicker bed. How to graft an almond tree. What the meaning of life is… 42, of course.

Final thing. You're near Moe, right? Check out Simplicity Collective. Voluntary simplicity advocate and scholar, Samuel Alexander, and co, are in the process of establishing a permaculture eco village in Moe. Might be worthwhile tagging along at some of the working bees they have in the future. Even consider attending the working with mud workshop they are doing soon - if it is of interest, and you're ok with the fee. Might be a good way of meeting likeminded folk.

3. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Pleasure and good to read yours, checked out your small house on blog and love it to bits. I have the 1960s washouse that I could convert... down the line.... I spent today clearing it out. and am exhausted.

1. Driveway, can I do it with a sledge hammer??? was hoping that I would get some not to small sections that I could use as paver etc.

2. Modern ideas - they come from UTube, ABC, better homes etc. the majority, not so many different ones apart from the small house which I had seen about 12 months ago, and a few mud, tyre, straw homes..

3. Good idea re summer, I could plant them in front gardens that are semi established as no flowers to go there yet on West side, so will get morning/day sun and shade in afternoon... first I have to get over this spasm in the back... stupid me ... dont know how I did it but slipped/twisted ankle and went down with a thud, think I banged my head as have whopping head so going to have a sleep, and the back started to lock up about an hour after the incident. LOL. Could even put in potatoes ???? I think we still get Adelaide weather about 2 days after you. you have given me some ideas.

BTW I saw somewhere that you can graft tomatoes and potatoes, was done in UK, could find the article but not the information on how to do it. sounds good. I will have to scrounge some pots as the soil here is not that good yet, and I have to pay solicitor first.

Mulch - itis a bit under the weather on East side and that is where there are lots of weeds and I was thinking of rocks and Aussie garden.

Scrap book - I do that with photos, so will have to try and post some before and after , when I get up again,.

UTibe is fabulous - I learnt to crochet from the videos there, learnt enough Japanese for when I sent there, and all other sorts of subjects. Also saw the small house, and lots of other great ideas. mine field of information.

I have checked Simplicity Collective, fee is a bit high, but will check how much if I am a day student. I also found or someone told me about Permablitz in Melbourne.... https://www.permablitz.net/ they also have a group in Adelaide west, and if I can get to Melbourne and help out with 3 permblitz's, they can help me :) which would be fabulous.

Gotta ask, have you decided on which small house you are getting?

Have a wonderful weekend. :) and again thats for the advice and encouregment :)

4. pavelbentham

I've never dug up a driveway but a sledge hammer might be a good start. Absolutely repurpose the concrete. Don't let anything leave the block and try to bring in as little as possible.

Permablitz is awesome. On the same level of awesomeness is Wagtail Urban Farm in Mitchell Park, a suburb of Adelaide. There was vacant lot. Some keen permaculture-minded folk asked the owner if he would mind letting it to them to farm. The rest is history. A great use for a suburban block that has sat unused for many years. They sell the produce at my local food coop.

I have decided on straw bale after seeing the various straw bale buildings at Food Forest, a permaculture farm in Gawler, SA. I want to build something similar to their 'studio' (see photo hereabouts) just a bit bigger. Essentially the base of my design is a 6x3m rectangle box with a tall skillion roof. I will maximise the limited space through careful positioning of handmade modular furniture - a built in bed with 2-cubic-metres of storage space underneath, a build in couch with 1-cubic-metre of storage. Importantly, the design is expandable and multi-use. Let's say I need more space down the track, the rectangle box can easily have the internal stud-wall extended to the northern wall, creating two separate 3x3m rooms each with a sliding door.

Straw bale studio at the Food Forest: View attachment 1921
    Rough sketch up of my proposed straw bale house (there is a small window on the southerly wall in the living space that can't be seen here): View attachment 1922

Attached Files:

5. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

house looks great.... after reading your blog and cleaning out my outhouse/laundry it has a lot of potential. It has 3 rooms, a big one (south end0 which was the laundry, then the middle room which could be bedroom, with a smaller room which could be bathroom, then a fenced in area which was the dog pen. So have a lot of options. and time to think before I start so I dont have to redo anything.

What program can I use to draw a plan and post?

Out with the sledge hammer or just maybe my great nephews might be interested in smashing it up, in exchange for riding their trail bikes in back section of my yard, They would love the dip and the tree obstacles :)

Too hot today to do much so taking it easy. Still sorting out photos to post before and after (or as is now)

But its lunchtime and I got my weekly takeaway so having a snack and back to work/play with ideas :)

I am also going to do a trip around our forest plantations with a trailer. amazing what people throw out.

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Hi JaninaG,

Just to be a wet blanket - sorry - I'm a bit concerned about the driveway. I don't know anything about your block & obviously I haven't seen the driveway ... but something is telling me maybe you need to just chill out for a while & see what the block tells you, not you tell it, if you know what I mean. I think its safe to say that every single time I've rushed in & changed something major about a new property I've regretted it within the year. My rule now is to live in a place for at least 12 months before I touch a thing (rat poop & such excepted :)) They say"Never take down a fence until you find out why it was erected in the first place" & I'm wondering why someone went to the expense & trouble of putting in a concrete monstrosity on your block. Perhaps the driveway is steep & in wet weather you won't be able to drive in without it? Just a thought :)
    Looking forward to the photos :)

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I couldn't agree more Helen!

If I think about all the things I did in the first 12 months on this place there is probably only the chook shed that remains. I have even moved a clothesline 3 times and now it is more or less where it was when I arrived!

Not only that, but some of the things I had planned to do but couldn't due to lack of time or money I am often so glad I didn't.

Which reminds me of a happy story I discovered recently. I had planted a couple of grafted passionfruit vines a year or so ago, in an place I just didn't look after them for one reason or another, so the graft died off. I had been thinking for ages I should dig the rootstock out incase it went too mad. In both cases, it turns out the rootstock is worth keeping because there are heavy crops of passionfruit on them as we speak! Needless to say they are getting a little more care :)

8. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

OMG YES!!!
    laughing ... I can SO identify with this :)
    I've dug out/shifted/pulled down heaps of stuff muttering "How could anyone be so stupid ... what were they THINKING when they did this?" only to eventually put it back where & how it was :)
    And man oh man have I thanked the heavens many times I don't have much money. Lord only knows how much trouble I could have got into if I'd been flush :)
    Ya gotta laugh :)
    And regarding the passionfruit vines ... it's kinda sweet how life keeps trying so hard to give us what we need, rather than what we want. If only we'd listen earlier we wouldn't have to get hit so hard with the lessons :) Me? I'm black & blue all over ;) :)
    Thanks for sharing that Grahame :) It's so good to find common experiences :)

9. pavelbentham

Disclaimer: Pavel Bentham does not advocate that Janina should dig up her driveway. Unless she wants to of course. And in which case it is to be assumed that she was of a sound mind at the time and was not pressured by any external associates. :)

Helen's advice is great.

10. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Yes. Perfect :)
    And I particularly like the last bit ;) :)

11. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Love it Helenlee,

will reply to all posts and explain then post images, now that I found an image resizer. lets hope my images are small enough now. LOL love your comments :)

Well this ended up at end so will do the explaining. Thanks Helene Lee, Graham [hope I spelt correctly ] and Pavel.

I have been in this property since early April 2013 but the title hasn't been transferred yet due to bungling of first solicitor. So I was not going to change anything structural, all I have been doing is cleaning up the yard until the transaction is final. Not being a pessimist but until my name is not on that title anything can happen so I am not taking the chance cause I dont want to pay out to return something to its original condition.... Figured and checked first, but cleaning up the yard is acceptable unless of course I paint the footpath purple or something else radical :) so cant get rid of concrete yet, and when you see the picture you will see why it has to go, It is an eye sore and has been done by an amatuer and only goes to to the gate as in piture the sloped area after that is gravel.

I was told that the previous owner used to repair cars under the section piece of concrete so am not looking forward to getting rid of it, could possibly find a big hole under it :)

Needless to say I am sure I will make oodles of mistakes and kick my rear end lots of times.

So am taking it easy and doing what I can when I can.

Think my vegie garden is going to start on the west side of the house or at least some lasagne mulching.

Thanks heaps everyone for all the tips and advice. It is really appreciated.

And Helen you humour keeps me giggling :)

12. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Well tried to post the photos but wouldnt let me post them all, is there a limit? cannot seem to find that info, so might have to reduce the photos even more :)

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Well you sure as heck got the photo thing worked out ... smarty pants :p I still struggle with it in spite of having been here for years ... but that's another story :)

Your place looks AWESOME! I just LOVE it :) My family moved to Queensland from Victoria before I was born. All holidays were spent at relies places in Victoria & everything about the place holds a magical charm for me. Everything is so different from Queensland :)
    I love the double brick chimneys, love the cottage, love the view at the back of the block, love the big block, love the gum trees, love the old chook pen (is that what it is?) under the gum trees, love the peppercorn trees, love the overgrowth & tangle ... it does look exciting & inviting, just begging to be explored, love the little wash house - it's going to be a fabulous studio :) Love the way the land meanders & winds & leads you on ... lots of interesting areas rather than just standing there flat & nude & "in your face".
    So ... here's my depressing opinion about what you should do .... seeing as you asked :) ;)
    I'd do absolutely nothing. And certainly not before you get the title thing sorted out! (Ask me how I know how important title certificates are!)
    Find yourself a few bottles of whatever it is you like to drink, hang up a hammock, grab yourself some PC books & spend a long time hanging (pardon the pun) in the garden. That place has a huge amount of potential & unless you have unlimited money & energy & enthusiasm, I reckon your best bet is to think & learn & plan a lot, before you lift a spade. If you're absolutely dying to grow something whack a few veggies & some pretty flowers in broccoli boxes to satisfy the urge :) For me, the most important aspect of permaculture is the bit where with planning & design you can make life so much easier! Any twit can grow stuff & put in madala gardens & herb spirals etc. But honest to god it's the design of the place that will make the difference between life being a gentle "aaahhhh" breeze & an irritated "FFS" dry wind every day. And once you've started erecting things & digging things out & pulling things up you've lost that unique opportunity you only get once - to be at the beginning. Right now, you have unlimited potential to get things absolutely right (well as right as it will ever be considering the "givens" of aspect, house site etc) I'd go & do a PDC at the very least before I touched anything - it will expand your thinking exponentially.
    Even with cleaning up - be careful. Everything you remove is a clue about what is working for the block now. And if you can't help yourself but rip out the "rubbish" & "weeds" at least take a million photos of it all first - even stuff you think you will never need to look at. Moss, wet spots, dry spots, burnt leaves on plants, overgrown lanky plants, yellow foliage plants, where the beaten paths are, even the ones the possums & the wallabies made ... all this stuff will tell you a lot about your microclimates, your soil, your plant pests, your drainage & run off & guide you towards beginning to see the natural flow of the place. Nature has left you lots of clues, disguised as mess & rubbish & work :) Don't miss them in your haste to make order out of what she has already made order of :)
    Sorry to be such a drag when I know you're dying to just go dig something! :)
    It's going to be awesome if you & the house & the block weave your dreams together, rather than against, or in spite of each other :)

14. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Wow helen, awesome message.

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Well I'm glad you like it Mr Larson :)

16. Rick Larson

Easy too.

100 hours of thinking for every hour of action!

17. Rick Larson

I've done that all my life! Sit around doing nothing but thinking. :)

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

There are plenty of worse things one could do :) :)

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

The value of this becomes more apparent with every year that passes :) I no longer consider it fun to flog myself physically everyday & doing things the functional way the first time has become very appealing :)

20. JaninaG

JaninaG Junior Member

Thanks Helen, Firstly you are welcome to come for a holiday anytime you want. I have 2 spare unoccupied bedrooms, also the power in the garage will more than support a RV :) Not to work but to enjoy Victoria.

I fully agree with not touching anything. All I have done is remove the overgrowth. where the back drive is the over growth reduced the drive to abou 6 foot.

I AM NOT GOING TO DIG anything unless I am paid a lotta, lottta, lotta money :)

I already regret removing some of the monsterias, but there were so many, I did keep half and the fruit is awesome.

I didnt even know I had a outhouse originally... It was covered in ivy and the trees were so overgrown., Ivy is a bugger to get rid of..... and to think that was the one thing I couldnt grow. Had some in a pot and it didnt grow a cm in 2 years, gave it to a grilfriend who put the pot is same position only 2 yards up and it grew and covered the divider in 6 months. and this one I just dont seem to be able to kill it/remove it.

BACK to your reply,

I am not a smarty pants with the photos, I just followed Craigs instructions, didnt make a lot of sense the first time or second time, so just clicked what i wanted to do and made sure I saved, didnt know if it worked and others could see them. SO thank you.

I love the lot also even though there is money to be spent on the house, my previous plot was 1.5 acres of flat land with a few trees but no inspiration. this is giving me so many that I am just writing them down till the title comes through - you can tell me about your titles escapdes :) This one has been a debacle, we werent meant to swap properties till all was finalised. but ... the positive is that it has given me time, and then I found this forum and I dont have to dig... I would have a fireworks night to celebrate but they are banned here.

Yes it is a chook pen a very big one with 3 sections, and in real good condition.

Nothing you have said so far in any post has be depressing, It has been good advice, if not for the title... I might have made more mistakes than I have.

Your idea of relaxing is great, but too hot today ... I am assuming PC books are Permaculture not computer books.

I dont want to do much apart from some of the easy wet paper and mulch. Was thinking of doing some behind wash house and use my scraps etc to do same along the fence opposite the brick chimmneys. All stuff which makes not changes to layout but helps improve the soil. Though I would prefer the drink and hammock, have the drink but hammock is still in on of the boxes with other stuff I cant find.

re "any twit can grow stuff" not this twit :) but she would like to know what PDC stands for ??

LOL, I must be giving the wrong impression.... one thing you can be sure of I am NOT dying to dig anything. I had digging. That why this way is another reason I love it.

The waiting is great, every negative has a positive, Even with the house, I hate the kitchen bathroom setup, so am thinking about things there, and I am not planning on spending a lot of money, I have a garage full of wood from old property.

Probably the only thing Iam keen on is remaking the rock edging around the garden by replacing with larger rocks that are scatered around the yard so I can put a decent layer of paper/cardboard and mulch to stop the weeds from growing.

And of course start some Lasagna mulching behind she and along west fence so it will be ready for planting next year.

Have to get some mulch to plant any vegies in boxes. boxes I can get free but potting mix is a different thing. cant by rubbish and have no idea about potting mixes.

This house and had has a great feel about it and I dont want to lose that.

Now to go and see if it is too hot for a walk. and next time might bore you with some of the ideas for the house alterations internally not externally. :)