Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by JackieG, Oct 3, 2003.

1. JackieG

JackieG Junior Member

:laugh:
    Thought I would introduce myself, I am from Central Victoria, just getting into my vegi garden and came across this board while searching fruitlessly for some info about keeping chickens ???

sun and rain to you all :;):
    Jackie

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Jackie,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find more luck with chook info through books, there are some good ones and your local library should have some. If not, let us know and i can give you some info on some titles of respected books.

Go the chooks :p

Dave

3. Guest

info on chooks in central victoria.

go chat to Ian Mullins - Australian Hertitage Farm, Elphinstone.

he runs a course at Continuing Ed in Castlemaine - i did it, excellent grounding for beginners...

the question is...when are you putting your tomatos in?

dan

4. JackieG

JackieG Junior Member

Well about the 'mato's we always have planted them after Melbourne cup day.......We had a huge frost last night so.....? :p
    Jackie

5. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    Hi Everyone,

I've been away from the pc for a while now still planting down the otways and in between teaching at the local PDC.

The local italians I know reckon you drop your dacks and sit on the soil the tomatoes are for - if you get a cold butt then the soil's too cold to plant. We've planted some a few weeks ago and have had a couple of frosts - no damage though cause of the upturned Vacola jars cloching them.

Ciao,

DD

6. JackieG

JackieG Junior Member

Well I got myself a chook book :D it is 'Chook Book' by Jackie French.... I am having a ball reading it so far....

We are contemplating also rearing chookies for the table.......its a bit of an issue for us, we know the kinds of things they do to chickens that we eat ( and that worries us ) but doing the deed is another thing! But if we can find someone to do the nasty stuff for us we will give it ago, at least our chooks will have a lovely life wandering a few acres looking for yummy things to eat etc before they get the chop.........and us and our kids ( and probably the rest of the family once they find out! )will have chemical free chicken to eat.

One day I would really love a cow..... wanna make cheese......lol

I am in Harcourt North and I have been told its extra frosty here (hence the apple growing) I guess from being in a valley, so I am thinking I will just put in my Tomatos and protect them from the frost otherwise we will never have them :O

I put in cucumbers and they got frosted

:(
    Oh well I am still learning

Sunny days and Rainy nights to you all
    Jackie

7. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi all,

I was speaking to a local who is working on some new chicken batteries they are buildings.

Some scary stats are that each building (3 of them in total), holds 40,000 birds each that are placed in there from the age of 3days old. They only take 2 months before they are butchered and the producer gets 25-35cents per bird!

I think our chooks dont know how good they have got it!

Cheers...... Dave