Hi all!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by helgecko, Dec 3, 2008.

1. helgecko

helgecko Junior Member

Hi everyone!

I've got a lot of reading and catching up to do on here, evidently, but I just thought I'd pop my head in here first to be polite and introduce myself :)

My name's Helen, and I'm living in Sydney's inner west with my fiance and our 2 cats (just to be controversial right off the bat :wink: ).
    I grew up on a farm, I studied Agriculture and Landcare at college (where I became very interested in organics, biodynamics, and permaculture), and then Environmental Science at Newcastle Uni. Since uni my career has mainly taken me down a native ecology/ bush regeneration route, and I did my Bush Regen Cert II at Ryde Tafe about 5 years ago. I'm currently working as a Bushland Projects Officer for a local council.

Thing is, my job is now coming to an end, and I've found myself a bit at a loss as to which direction to head in next.
    Just recently though, I've been feeling drawn back to my original loves, gardening, agriculture, organics and permaculture. I'm thinking very seriously about doing the PDC through Ryde Tafe in January next year (has anyone done it? is it worthwhile? and worth the money?). Does anyone have any advice about different courses available? I've found one that can be done by correspondence through ACS Distance Education called Advanced Permaculture https://www.acs.edu.au/courses/Advanced-Permaculture-143.aspx

I would ideally like to carve out some sort of career in this area, which would probably mean teaching, or working with a council or similar orginisation to manage community gardens or similar. I love the idea of getting more into the education side of things. Again, if anyone has any ideas or advice, it would be very gratefully accepted.

I'm a member of the Perma-blitz facebook group, but unfortunately haven't made it to any of the meets yet. I'm hoping to do so very soon. Are there any other groups located near the inner west? I've been looking for Permaculture groups, but they all seem like a fair way from where I live (either North, West or South), and driving that distance seems to be counter-productive somehow.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you all, this seems like a really great forum :)

2. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

Re: Hi all!

Hi Helen :D

I did my PDC at the PRI up at The Channon back in September. Was a two week course, stay on site setup. Was great and would reccomend doing it this way if you have got the time (their are other 2 week courses around).

There is not an inner west group that I am aware of. You have got either Permaculture North who meet at Lindfield https://permaculturenorth.org.au/index.php?q=node/11 or Permaculture Sydney West (PSW) who meet at Toongabbie West Public School, Ballandella Road, Toongabbie or Permaculture Sydney South (West) who meet at the Macarthur Centre for Sustainable Living, Mt Annan.

We go to PSW, dont think anyone from the inner west comes there and we don't meet again until Febrary now. You could try Permaculture North they are meeting on 15/12 according to their website.

3. helgecko

helgecko Junior Member

Hi Matt!
    Thanks for you response :)
    Yeah, I would really love to do something like that, but realistically, I think the Ryde Tafe one is far more likely to happen for me. Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately...) my job will be reduced to 2 days a week after christmas, so the costs of travel and accomodation will become a concern. If I go to Ryde Tafe I'll be able to do it from home.
    I do realise that doing it on a proper permaculture farm would probably be a more fulfilling and inspiring experience though...

Thanks. I might look into going to the Permaculture North group. I'll see what the public transport situation is... (it's a bit far to go on my bike :wink: )

Thanks again for your help! :)

4. Robyn

Robyn Junior Member

Hi Helen

The permaculture courses at Ryde TAFE are a virtual PDC and excellent for people living in urban areas. There is a fully functional permaculture garden with urban scale examples of permaculture practices like aquaculture in a recycled boat, a beautiful raised mandala garden from recycled bricks, herb spiral, miniature food forest, tyre ponds, small chook house and more, and the whole thing is as big as a big backyard. It's a great place for meeting like-minded people and finding out about smaller local groups that are operating in the Sydney area. See also https://www.permaculturesydneybasin.org.au

The permaculture teacher, Penny Pyett is the current president of Permaculture North and the dynamic powerhouse who took PN from a fledgling group to an influential organisation of 350 members and growing.

For these and all the other reasons you mention I would highly recommend it to you.

Robyn Williamson
    Local Seed Network Coordinator
    North Western Sydney Seed Savers

5. helgecko

helgecko Junior Member

Robyn,
    thank you so much for your response!
    I was already 90% sure I would be doing the Ryde tafe PDC, but it's great to hear such good things, and to have my plans reinforced.
    $2000 (or there-abouts) is no drop in the bucket for me, so it's good to know it will be a wise investment.

Thanks also for that link, it looks like a great resource.
    And I'm always on the lookout for those :D

Helen.

6. Robyn

Robyn Junior Member

No worries Helen, but I didn't realise you were talking about the actual PDC that Penny will be running next year. I thought you were talking about the regular intro to permaculture course she runs over 9 Saturday mornings at Ryde TAFE! They're just about finished for this year, I did a seedsaving workshop with the students last week.

Nevertheless, if you can afford the PDC by all means do it, there is no better way to get a handle on the big picture while having loads of fun and meeting interesting people. I did mine with Bill in 2001, it changed my life and I've never looked back. Penny did her PDC with Bill in 2000.

Also there is a Pc group starting up for Inner Western Sydney, I think they've already had one meeting at Marrickville and the Pc Sydney East group got up and away about 3 months ago. Unfortunately, the website doesn't appear to have been updated for a while. Permaculture Sydney Basin is an informal group of volunteer representatives from existing groups working to get a permaculture group happening in every Council area around Sydney, they only meet 4 times a year.

Welcome aboard anyway Helen, hope to catch up with you in person some time, I'd like to get around to all the groups next year and show the new Seed Savers film "Our Seeds ... Seeds Blong Yumi" you can view a trailer at https://www.seedsavers.net For beginners there is a really helpful site with lots of good info at https://www.tropicalpermaculture.com

Robyn Williamson
    Local Seed Network Coordinator
    NW Sydney Seed Savers

7. helgecko

helgecko Junior Member

Hi Robyn,
    Again, thank you for both your great information, and for your support, it's very greatly appreciated.
    It must have been quite amazing to do your PDC with Bill!

Do you know any contacts for the Inner West Pc group? I'd love to get involved, and make some friends and contacts in the Pc world :)

The Seed Savers website looks great, you've got so much information on there!
    and Seeds Blong Yumi looks very interesting, when and where is it being released?

8. Robyn

Robyn Junior Member

Our Seeds ... seeds blong yumi has already been released and shown on various TV channels around the Pacific. A public screening will be held at the Peats Ridge Festival on 29 December and next year I will be getting around all the groups in Permaculture Sydney Basin to show the film.

I will try to find out a contact person for the Pc Inner West group and post it here, I don't normally frequent this forum however please feel free to contact me direct ecogardenATyahoo.com.au should you require any further information.

Seeds are the first link in the food chain, it is vital that we preserve and protect the source of our food.

Peas and luv and silly season's greetings to all.

Robyn

9. oli123

oli123 New Member

HI Helen, sorry I didnt see this before but just thought id let you know we have a Sydney PDC happening this July but bookings close this coming Tuesday 16th June. The course runs from July 6th to 18th and If you'd like to know more lease give me a ring or email Penny Pyett 02) 9888 2575 [email protected]tmail.com