Hey there from dehydrated California!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by horsebob456, Apr 30, 2015.

1. horsebob456

horsebob456 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

My name is Kelsey and I live in the Sierra Nevadas, northwest of Yosemite. I have been really down, angry and hopeless about how people are treating the Earth and how far away people have gotten from their natural roots. I recently started watching Geoff's free videos on www.geofflawton.com and they have given me a sense of hope and positivity I have not had in a long time.. I finally feel passionate knowing there is a simple solution!
    My boyfriend and I care take beautiful 160 acres on the outskirts of the Stanislaus National Forest with a terrible 8 mile potholey, washboardy, dusty dirt road but it's totally worth it to be so far away from town! Permaculture is definitely in this piece of land's future. We are 100% solar powered with amazing water that I am really thankful for(if it doesn't run out this year).
    I'm wondering if there is a good California permaculture school or community or something out there that anyone knows of...

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    hi Kelsey, welcome,

i sure hope the water stays on there too! with the lack of snow pack it is going to be an interesting summer. everyone hopes for rain.

if your well or spring is fed from the forest i hope the forest has not been mined for wells and water as many places are now all putting down wells as fast as they can (before the groundwater regulations and permits get harder and more regulations). do you have an above ground tank for storing water?

i for one would not want to be out there at the mercy of neighbors who drill and pump from greed and not from a sustainable perspective.

my thoughts will certainly be with you and hope that some decent rains come soon.

i have been doing a lot of reading on the way water has been developed in California
    and the arid west and it's quite an interesting subject, but as of yet i see no actual
    rational system being considered. the CA groundwater rules will be decades yet.

4. horsebob456

horsebob456 Junior Member

Yes, the water comes from a well, and we have a storage tank. It's so old though, it's starting to leak(it's metal) and in the summer it is so hot that if you don't use up the water quickly it gets algae in there. My closest neighbor is about a mile away and they're down hill. He probably wont be dropping any wells either, he's just a cool old guy. I'm really thankful to be out in the National Forest!
    I can't believe it, in the central valley they are adding more almond orchards at an alarming rate. It's like the central valley fungus is spreading into the mountains. They've used up all the flat land for giant cookie cutter houses and almonds...
    Thank you for the welcomes and the info 9anda1f! I will check both of them out.

5. St Carries Center

St Carries Center New Member

Hi Kelsey, I just got here and looking for a good permaculture group in southern california if anyone knows of one.

6. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)