Help with INFO: Florida and Texas

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by drake, Jun 6, 2012.

1. drake

drake Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Starting 6/26/12 my family and I are going on a two weeks vacation.
    First week is in Florida and second week will be in Texas.

I am trying to show my family all the great things about Permaculture.
    Is there a large land food forest, cob building, homesteading so on that I can show my family what's Permaculture all about. I am willing to pay to stay for a day log or entrance fee.

I would like some information on the two states we are heading there. We have only limited amount of days to do all events.

thank you in advance.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Florida - https://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/

Texas is a HUGE state, can your narrow the field a little... ..it's like saying I am spending a week in Australia or Russia. You could be going to any kind of climate.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Not quite, Texas is almost the size of a small cattle station in Oz
    [​IMG]
    I did enjoy my trip to hilltop herb farm when I was there

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Nice map MA! Reminds of the time when I was working in a tourist motel in Noosa and a lovely Japanese couple told me that they were going to drive to Cairns to lunch! It didn't look like a long way on the map.... (About 1600 km)

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

i sat next to a retired US professor on a trip back from NZ. He was spending a week in Australia. i asked him where he was going
    He said
    Monday Sydney
    Tuesday Melbourne
    Wednesday Adelaide
    Thursday Alice springs
    Friday Perth
    etc
    i was falabaggasted (he was about 70YO!)
    When i argued with him that he would only see the insides of airports and would be just best staying in one city, or maybe just the barrier reef he got most huffy and told me his trip was designed and planned by "an Australian travel Expert"!! (??) in USA and i had to drop the subject
    i guess they don't study geography in USA, that would be equivalent to visiting all the European cities from Moscow to London in a week!

i also arranged a tour of Lawrence Hills (from UK) to Australia. We had him on tight, multi state, national, Organic gardening lecture tour. When he arrived in Perth (where i have never been to, too far!) he said he might just "pop up' to Ayers Rock on his way to Adelaide. I had the devil of a time to convince him he couldn't
    When he finally arrived to stay with me he apologised, saying he thought Australia was about the size of England. Now he realised Tasmania was about the size of England!

We really are a BIG island(s) folks!

6. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Ok, now that folks have had fun talking about how tiny Texas is, can you help the poster find some places to visit? :)

Any Texans here at all besides me?

Anyone?

7. drake

drake Junior Member

FYI, Our vacation plan are as follow:

Florida: Orlando, then drive along the coast to Tampa and Miami for 1 week.

Texas: Fort Worth, then drive to Houston then to San Antonio forming a triangle for 1 week.

Hope some place with homesteading with a sawdust compost toilet to freak my spouse out, so when they see the travel trailer it is like a castle. HA HA.

So far, I have more success in you tube finding information, kinda sad really.

Well if anyone have any information before our two week time line for our flight would be great. thank you.

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Drake

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Do I detect a little bit of frustration in your last post? It is possible (although I could be wrong) that what you are hoping to do - drive around for a couple of weeks in order to 'show [your] family what's Permaculture all about' - could possibly be seen as a very un-permacultural thing to do, and as such this is why you have received little in the way of response.

I understand that you are probably on a tight time frame, and that you want to squeeze in as much as possible. However, I can't help but feel that by trying to do the grand tour you will only just begin to rub the surface and miss out on a more deep, meaningful and enlightening experience. As such, have you considered perhaps just going to one, or maybe two places? You know, 'quality over quantity' and all that.

Perhaps you could sign the family up to do some WWOOFing at one, maybe two places for the duration of the two weeks at a chosen location? I am sure that by undertaking some careful research, you could find an amazing place (or two) to get a great understanding of permaculture, save a shitload of money, and do it all without having to waste time and energy (yours, the plane and whatever your driven vehicle will run on) by doing the whole fly/drive around half the countryside thing.

Just throwing some thoughts out there...

Whatever you do decide to do, I hope that you and the entire family have a great time.

Cheerio, Markos.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Might be cheaper to stay home and buy your loved one a copy of the Humanure Handbook....