HELP! US - AntiPermaculture Law

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

The purpose of this thread is to inform other Americans, and the world, but more importantly, I am asking for help and information to get people to rise up against this after the travesty that occurred with the Monsanto Protection bill put into law by demon servant Sen. Roy Blunt.

https://action.fooddemocracynow.org/call/monsanto_protection_act_spreads_to_Oregon

Hmmm, seems crappy, let's look deeper.:n:

Makes legislative finding and declaration that regulation of agricultural seed, flower seed and vegetable seed and products of agricultural seed, flower seed and vegetable seed be reserved to state.

Prohibits enactment or enforcement of local measures to regulate agricultural seed, flower seed and vegetable seed or products of agricultural seed, flower seed and vegetable seed.

https://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2013/SB633/

I need help stopping this. I am already working on several essays for the newspapers, but I do not believe that will be enough. Any suggestions because I am not taking this lying down by any means.

Please, for this thread, I need constructive help, not criticisms, or comments about Monsanto, etc. So please keep this thread productive & help me help us all. :hi::bow:

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

while other support scientific myth like that water thread no help for masses there, the gov's of the world are bringing in laws that rim our wings of freedom of expression and speech.

the best constructive i can give because the world gov' has been doing this for nigh on 15 years or so now is, cop it sweet as a divided secular society you will get no masses/grassroots support, their heads are in "care less" mode so long as they have sport and macka's.

the obvious reality people are going hungry fresh food to expensive and getting scarce(please nothing to do with climate change), many now don't have a roof over their heads, can't afford water, power or fuel or clothes that aren't made in seat shops with slave labour.

already in the US for over a decade now legislation that can and will stop gardeners from growing any plant that has commercial value, to make the controllers job easier house now on blocks so small there is no yard for kids let alone a garden, my daughter's family is doing container gardening more a hobby of interest than able to supplement their food, we give them excess produce.

need reality check i've mentioned before come back to real ethics lets have common roots level and stand together or we will be continually manipulated like now and our bleating's will not be heard in the wilderness.

yep whilst ever there is support for that waste of time water and many other scientific theories all will be lost.

your journalistic efforts? for what? spotlight you dunno, how many will actually read a newspaper let alone an essay that is not on the sports pages? hope it starts that snowball you seem to seek.

len

3. annette

annette Junior Member

Hi Pak

Just read the intro to the bill and find it very scary.

The only thing I can see you could do is find a federal law or in your bills of rights and constitution that gives individuals rights over this matter?

Is there any polls that say the people do not want this? Public objection and pressure on pollies may be the only way forward.

4. gardenlen

that's the whole thing annette,

people don't have rights and any left from days of integrity are fast drying up. is it so that not sure the 1st, 2nd or 5th amend's have been water down or changed

people should have jumped on boar up to at least 15 years ago, the saying "the horse has well and truly bolted" rings true

as soon as we can here we are going to see what native food plants can be grown in the vegetable line as we will mostly be able to grow those that don't come under the commercial value flag.

dobbing encouraged people peering through cracks in the curtains.

lead to inquisitions to punish those who will not follow form, sad world getting sadder, no wisdom

len

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

One word, education. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be delivered (much less absorbed) overnight. As such, it's a suggestion that may do very little to help you in your current plight.

When I look at the scientific literacy rates of average Americans, (Australians are not much better) I'm reminded of just how mammoth the task is before you.

Also, when I look at the 'cultural' barriers to developing community-mindedness over individualism in the USA, I also understand just how much of an uphill battle you face.

Examples of people who think this Bill is a good thing abound, just as those such as yourself who do not are likewise abundant.

What to do? I think your idea about writing an essay for the local rag is a good start. A couple of tips: Keep it simple, short and to the point. Avoid 'emotional' verbage, and provide only one link to a credible source as a reference. At best, you might encourage 1-in-10 to go further and educate themselves as to the broader issues. But, that is better than nothing.

Other than that, continue to work (if you are not already?) with other like-minded individuals/groups at your local/bioregional level. The only way we can ever hope to improve our situation with regards to building a directly-democratic society, is to continue (or begin) to work with those nearest to us, both geographically and politically. We may not change the situation overnight (and in your case, this means you may be able to do very little toward halting the legislative process), but if we stick together and actively work toward first educating ourselves, and then providing that same opportunity for others, eventually we will make the situation change.

All power to you, and your local/bioregional community.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

What is it that they sing in the American national anthem - the land of the free?

7. matto

matto Junior Member

I remember when this type of scenario was mentioned in Melbourne. Similar to not being able to farm in suburbia, swap seeds or produce... I thought at the time I'd move to Melbourne and become an urban farmer, just to stir the pot.

Carry on building examples, and dont take no guff from those swine. But as Markos said, you have a big battle over there. Good luck. Enjoy the small wins!

8. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I'll try to be as constructive as possible, but we both know how well the government is doing in stripping our rights since 2001. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just ignore the laws as usual. Just because your state has passed(or is thinking about passing) a law stating that individual cities/counties can't pass seed legislation is not the end of it. If you can get your local area to pass their own law, such as Jackson county mentioned in the first link(and I assume that's why Oregon is doing it so they can put a stop to it before it becomes like Vermont and their local food sovereignty laws), the state still has to prove that what it's doing is constitutional. Bad laws are turned over all the time. In other words, act local, think global. Focus on your city(if you have a mayor/political officials) or your county.

If enough people in your locale feel strongly enough about their right to choose, then you should be okay. If not, then I don't really see what you can do to stop the law from being passed.

However, there are subversive actions you can take locally. They might not be glamorous or fancy and you may never get recognition for your actions. GMO potatoes were stopped dead in its tracks because of consumers(they were made for the fast food restaurant, and thanks to McDonald's mostly, there are no more produced for human consumption), so don't underestimate the power of money(money is, after all, their game. Learn to use it to your advantage).

Another way you can be a little subversive is to pick a crop that is grown in your area that is also a GMO. Rapeseed, honey(indirectly), cotton, rice, soybeans,sugar cane(though there is a serious backlash against it, like potatoes), tomatoes, corn(along with the sweet kind), potatoes(see above), flax, papaya(surprised me), squash, red-hearted chicory, tobacco(sold as Quest cigarettes), meat and milk(indirectly), peas, and sugarbeets. Not sure how old this list is. Take a plant or two from the list that is a big seller/grower in your area and start planting heirloom varieties for seed production. Start giving away that seed or transplants to the locals and explain why you're doing it. People love free stuff, so they may be receptive to some "illumination" at the same time.

As ecodharmamark said, don't be emotional in your speeches/literature. I personally find emotional arguments a big turn off along with titles like "Monsanto is evil and wants to mutate your babies".

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Markos, Unmutual, thank you for the advice, it helped greatly.

I already wrote my State Senator, which is a surprise unto itself. I thought the person who put sb633 through would of been mine, after all Coos Bay is 1/2 an hour away but I was delightfully wrong and wrote Senator Krause instead. In addition I wrote my governor as well, and with both of them I gave links to scientific studies showing the links between gmo crops & cancer, gluten intolerence, and more. I also invited them to my farm to have a frank talk about Permaculture.

As for emotional arguments, you are both totally correct. The comparison between Monsanto & Hitler got removed prior to sending. ;)

I am working on articles for my town paper, the regions newspaper, & the region's Ag press currently.

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

There was something about Life, Liberty and the pursuit of my happiness. ;)

11. matto

matto Junior Member

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Senator Jeff Krause wrote me back. His mistake was sending me a form letter that has nothing to do with anything I wrote him about.

Now to take this to the newspapers!:bow:

13. annette

annette Junior Member

Get him Pak!

14. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

:y:

Keep up the hard work. Even if this bill goes through, you did what you could. I think inviting your representatives to your farm was a good idea.

Hopefully your Senator will reply soon with a real message.

15. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

It's quite fitting we only sing the first verse...the one with all the question marks.

16. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks! Have never seen the full version before. It's no wonder you guys have a gun thing going on.... Bombs and rockets in your anthem.
    Aussies have droughts, flooding rains and a land girt by sea in ours. No one knows what girt really means though.
    Wonder how the North Korean one translates?

17. ecodharmamark

Let morning shine on the silver and gold of this land,
    Three thousand leagues packed with natural wealth.
    My beautiful fatherland.
    The glory of a wise people
    Brought up in a culture brilliant
    With a history five millennia long.
    Let us devote our bodies and minds
    To supporting this Korea forever.

Source: https://inothernews.tumblr.com/post/701755875/here-are-the-lyrics-to-north-koreas-national-anthem

My version of the DPRK's anthem: 'An ode to Gina'

Let morning shine on the red ochre of this land,
    Three thousand iron ore mines sites packed with natural wealth.
    My beautiful daddy's stolen aboriginal land.
    The glory of a dumb non-aboriginal people
    Brought up in a culture not so brilliant
    With a history five minutes long.
    Let us devote our bodies but not our minds
    To supporting this exploitation forever (well, nearly... or at least until it runs out)

Catchy, hey?

18. gardenlen

is that from the heart mark?

sad really that means once we were united as a nation of diversity no the segregation gets deeper and deeper no chance for reconciliation.

sign of the times more racial based violence guaranteed.

anyhow take care mark.

len

19. ecodharmamark

Simply a poor attempt at being satirical, Len. Humour never was my forte.

Taking great care down here, thanks. Hope you are well up there, too.

20. gardenlen

ok mark,

they do say the truth oft' spoke in jest

i must sadly admit i used it in the past was my defense mechanism, not being kind to the other person, all he could do was look at me and walk away saying he thinks he's been got at.

i see it different now

bring back the peaceful time when aboriginals and all races who participated in ww2 lived at the wacol army villiage no bashings no nothing just a community and all kids played together there was not much else playgrounds must not have been heard of.

then they built a satellite suburb and we all moved into modest 3 or 4 bedroom homes on 27 perches to 30 perches great little community all colours and creeds as before now we have all this stuff going on???

too much self interest i reckon

len