Help! Something is eating my tomatoes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Brett, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Brett

Brett Junior Member

Hi guys,

I'm sure you've had these questions before (although I searched and couldn't find anything).

But basically I was hoping for some pest control advice. I have some tomatoes, and as soon as they turn red something is eating them, not an aphid or fruit fly, something big (possibly a possum) is eating them.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do.

Also can anyone suggest a way of dealing with my green leafy vegies getting eaten...

thanks,

Brett

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

... birds love them too and will pick at them.

I would suggest some sort of netting over them.

If you are more adventerous you could install a motion sensor light so that when any animal goes near them at night the light will go on and (in theory) scare them away. At the very least it will let you see what is eating them.

3. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Quassi chips if they are possums or perhaps exclusion bags will help
    Cathy

4. katrina

katrina Junior Member

came out to find a dead rat in our tomato patch this morning, just where our tigerellas are. a cute looking thing;it had somehow managed to trap its tail in some wire and carked it. we have possum-, blackbird- and chicken-proofed our vegies, but clearly not the rats. have no idea what we are going to do now to rat-proof it.
    could this be your problem? i had been wondering what was chomping some of the bigger tomatoes, looks like i have the answer.. do rats run in groups, pairs? kat

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I often find centipedes curled up in huge holes in tomatoes. Sometimes it looks like a rodent or something had attacked them until investigation finds the pesky things rolled up in there.

6. Brett

Brett Junior Member

Re: Help! Something is eating my tomatoes

Thanks for the responses folks. Yeah birds and possums seem to be the likely culprits.

I've picked a handful of tomatoes but lost most of them from two healthy bushes.

I've now got some bird netting in place and once I seal it up that should be good enough.

next thing I'm dealing with is the pesky caterpillars...