help from italy

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by fiorella, May 25, 2009.

1. fiorella

fiorella Junior Member

hi all,
    i live in the country, south italy, and i'm trying to introduce permaculture principles in my family style life. Now i need help on 360° on different arguments but in particular it urges to clarify the optimal rooms exposure because i need to repair my house and it would be the right chance to modify it in permaculture-key. Moreover probably on july i'll partecipate in a permacultue design course but i've to begin my house design before that date.
    Can you help me?

ciao e grazie
    fiorella

2. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Re: help from italy

Hi Fiorella,

Welcome to the forum.

You might need to add a bit more detail about what you mean by "clarify the optimal rooms exposure". If you post photos too that might help people help you.

But check this out. It might give you a few ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLaWzNpoCpI
    "A Good Home Forever", Rosemary Morrow

3. fiorella

fiorella Junior Member

ok, let's start.
    geen revolution - 1th episode :)

Mine is a 2 floors house, actually divided into 2 complete apartments, 1 for floor (my family lives in 1th floor). We have to unify them into a single one, having night zone on 1th floor and the rest on 0th floor. Obviously we want to do as little modifications as it is possible but we don't want to renounce to the confort of a well designed house. In particular we want to move the kitchen from north to south because now it is dark and little (my south is your north). Moreover we would have a bathroom similiar to the one on bill mollison's books, having for instance showing drain directly into ground, and a lot of other nice features. At the moment i need a general design, useful to drive my house to a really green one, considering that probably i will not have all the necessaries resources (time, money...)to turn it in one step. Can you show me the way to obtain the maximum result with the minimum cost (in broadly speaking) ? In meanwhile the first step of the conversion has begun with the photovoltaic roof, ready in 2 mounths, i hope.
    For exchange of your useful comments i can offer future ospitality in one of the first ( i think) house restructureted with permacultural concepts, in south italy! We're not properly neightbourghs but....the world is so little!

ciao
    fiorella

4. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

It's going to be really hard to help from here on specifics. Maybe some members can post some general thoughts???

Pictures would help though;
    faq.php#f3r3

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I found an architect that specializes in making these sort of decisions so I didn't have to. I suppose it depends on your budget, but doing the same might be the best way forwards, and could possibly save you money in the long run.

PS LOVE my new house! 8)

6. Contadino

Contadino Junior Member

Ciao Fiorella,

Have you considered keeping them as two separate homes, and living in the ground floor in summer (when it'll be cooler, presumably) and in the 1st floor in the winter (to make the most of any solar gain...?)

Sorry to not be able to help further.

Whereabouts are you in the south? I'm in Puglia.

7. fiorella

fiorella Junior Member

italy/puglia/brindisi!!!
    :D

ciao
    fiorella

8. Contadino

Contadino Junior Member

Bravo! Sono di Ceglie! :D

9. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

You'll need to be able to make use of the changing sun angles through the year. Here's a link to an Australian governmant online calculator. It looks like you can use it in your part of the world, too.

https://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/astro/smpos.jsp

Cheers!