Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Missy_Muffett, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Missy_Muffett

Missy_Muffett Junior Member

Hello everyone,

12 months ago my family & I purchased a small 2 acre property in Wongawallan, Qld. All the surrounding land, including ours, used to be dairy farming land.

The land itself is in terrible condition, it is full of weeds, all the natural trees were raped from the land & golden canes & cocos palms thrown in. We have a beautiful little creek running at the bottom of the property.

I really want to bring the soil & land back to health, & eventually be fairly self sustainable with fruit & vegies for ourselves. I would like to embrace permaculture to do this. Can I succeed in doing this without attending a permaculture course?? I really don't know where to start? Any advice will be gratefully accepted, thankyou, Im looking very forward to starting on this!!!

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome Missey,
    You have set yourself quite a challenge- of course you can do it!.
    Have you got horticultural, farming or agricultural experience?
    Most would say that a Permaculture Course helps, but there are a lot of resources on line and in libraries, and learning stuff is what gets us up in the morning.

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    You have set yourself a challenge. I think it is achievable but avoid tuffets for a while and you might have to leave the cheese making too for a while.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I agree with MA. A course helps - even just a one day intro to permaculture - but if you can read and learn then you'll get a pretty good start on it. Finding a local group is helpful too because sometimes you need to see something to understand how to do it.
    Linda Woodrow's Permaculture Home Garden is good - and she's based in SE Qld so it will work easily for you. Jenny Allen's Smart Permaculture Design is also a SQ Qld based book. It is more inspiration and less instruction. Rosemary Morrow's Earth Users Guide to Permaculture is like a PDC in a book. She's based in the Blue Mountains, but her book is very applicable anywhere regardless of climate.