Hello I am Brian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Hmmm, not sure. If a temperature of 21-24 degrees is optimal, the night temperatures are still a touch low, and we could get some cold days to come.

Mid-September, October?

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Insufficeient water flow. That is your problem. The Worm Bible says to water twice per day and as water is flowing through the bed, oxygen follows. What you have is silt from the castings which haven't been flushed out. My Can of Worms is the same as I don't water it enough.

I don't have taps or holes in most of mine so I cant water as normal and I don't collect worm juice. When I was collecting it, I would pour several buckets of pond water into the beds to flush them out. The water would flow out fast then down to a drip by drip. This will or should stop the build up of the sludge but needs to be done on a regular basis.

I think your shade cloth idea is good as it should allow for drainage if there is enough flow through the tub. The shade cloth will allow small worms to pass through it but not bigger ones. What you have I think is lot of small worms passing through it and growing and cant get back through.

Now it is clean try watering the tub more often and see if it is flowing more freely. You should water down your sludge ( thick worm juice) and spray it around the gardens

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

As water flows through, oxygen follows? If I watered twice a day, I figured it would go anaerobic. My bedding stays very moist because my processed food has several cups of water mixed in to make pouring into containers easier, I assumed capillary action was keeping everything wet.

Would blasting a hose down under the mesh once a fortnight/month achieve the same results? Watering frequently is too much effort for me.

Thanks for your response, Brian. Who needs to buy books when you're around? Books aren't as handsome, either.

I checked the wheelbarrow, the worms aren't happy in the slop. A lot seemed to be positioned at the rim, waiting for dew drop to make a break for it.

4. briansworms

Sorry mate I forgot you don't like work. I would just stick the hose up there and give it a flush now and then lol

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

It's not that I don't like it (no jokes about working for a council), it's that I will always choose the most efficient way of doing something.

Therefore, watering every day, or 30 seconds with hose, every month. Which to choose?

6. briansworms

Working smarter not harder.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I popped the next batch of coffee out of their red skins tonight. I wonder what works best for planting - whole berries skin and all, dried berries still in their parchment, or fully cleaned? Maybe I need to get a few back of potting mix and run some trials....

I just have to remember to leave some to plant and not roast them all!

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

It should all be in the Coffee Handbook link I sent you.

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Shoot! Forgot I had that... now to find it again.

Ok found it - my OCD comes in handy. It was in the folder 'Garden' in the folder 'Home' in my documents folder. Pity my house isn't as tidy as my hard drive....

Dried berries in intact parchment flat side down is the answer. I'll save some of this batch and start planting in the next few weeks.

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Try googling 'coffee Handbook pdf'.

11. briansworms

Hello I am Brian. What has coffee got to do with me? Ok I really like you two so go ahead and talk coffee.

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hello Brian. We knew you wouldn't mind us chatting about coffee over your table so to speak.

I bought potting mix yesterday and have dried some beans to the parchment stage and I'll plant them tomorrow. I gave up on growing stuff from seed this time last year as the chap at the market who does vege seedlings is cheap and a nice bloke. So I have to set up a seed propagating area again for my coffee...

(I meant to say that his seedlings are cheap - I'm not suggesting that Eric the Herb man has no morals!)

14. briansworms

I love a good coffee and worms love coffee grounds. I am sure Eric the Herb Man wont be offended.

15. briansworms

Downloaded the PDF thanks

16. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Hi Brian,

Should I allow worm-through worm losses to continue? Turns out, with some tenacity, they can squeeze through the mesh as they feel like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or should I endeavour to halt it? I ended up giving away 2 full handfuls of a small amount of castings and writhing worms, can you estimate the numbers from that? 2 full handfuls = how many worms? This was from the wheelbarrow.

I put the hose down under the mesh and washed the worms into the bucket and recycled them through the bed again, but each time I lifted the bed, more were escaping into the bottom section. Something I just have to live with? Dead worms in liquid are just fibre for worm juice?

17. briansworms

When I had the bathtub set up I just had the manure in it, no shade cloth or space at the bottom. If you keep the bedding nice and loose you don't need the shade cloth as it will drain on it's own. You could run some of that Ag pipe along the bottom. The stuff with the fine srceen over it. That's what they use in commercial worm beds. On my phone so will check out the pics tomorrow

18. briansworms

S.O.P take out the shade cloth and the wood. Use the ag pipe idea and have it drain out the plug hole. Just block up the top end to keep the worms out. In the Worm Management book it shows pictures of beds set up lined with builders plastic. A small hole is cut for the pipe and it is then force through. The plastic will shrink back around the pipe to form a tight seal. The beds also have lips around the top to prevent walkouts and a lighting system to keep them lit up at night. With commerecial breeding you need or either lighting or the lip or both to keep them in. With good husbandry skills walkouts shouldn't happen.
    I use the desk lamp at times to keep the buggers in place.

19. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

So, pipe just lies the length of the bath through the middle, either attached to, or sticking through drain hole? If I can get an agpipe diameter that matches plug hole diameter, all the better?

Would a looped length, or 'U' length be better?

Funny, almost every single guide I read recommended shade cloth. I checked under again and they drop out like something from a horror movie. No food down there for them now, they will struggle.

20. briansworms

No just a straight length. There is plenty of food for them down there. Castings rich in bacteria. They will eat their own castings over and over.