Hello I am Brian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Lurnbricus rubellus is so boring. You should call the Brian's Biggest Beauties or something equally poetic.

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

If it wasn't for you, Brian, there is a solid chance I wouldn't be doing so well. And now, thanks to you, I know I have a decent diversity of worms. I, in the permacultural-style, have just offered worms for free on a local forum so I do apologise for that, even though we live far apart. I think I can share my wealth, even though my money and hours of blending have gone into that and the fact I work for a pittance.

You will reap that karma, somehow.

3. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

No need to thank me I just love sharing the knowledge I pick up. Can't say I am always correct but I am learning along the way. As I get smarter I will try to update the advice I started to pack some of the Lumbricus rubellus ( European Night Crawlers) in some tubs for a sale on Tuesday. With the Reds I get about 100 worms to 30 grams, with these I get 30 worms per 30 grams and as I am charging 50 cents extra I put in 50 worms per tub. I think if I put more in they may stress so will see how this lot go.

The more I read about the Europeans the more I like. I always thought they would struggle up here in the heat but they tollerate the same conditions as the Reds but are 3 times bigger when grown to their full potential.

4. betr2garden

betr2garden Junior Member

Hi Brian, We've met before on your site and one other.

I saw this thread and thought you had recently joined this site...nearly!!! (9 pages later).

I'm glad you are part of Permaculture, because you're worms always have been!!! I'm sure we will catch up along the trail.

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    Take care,
    Kerri

5. briansworms

Hello Kerri,

I was selling at the local markets last year when I was told about this site so I had a look and am still here. It is bit of a squeeze with this forum, The Worm Expert Forum and the Australian Freshwater Turtles Forum. I am a Mod on the last two. I really enjoy trying to learn from others and when I think I am smart enough I try to teach somebody else. Just had an email from one of my worm customers asking for some advice. It comes free before and after the sale. I have found most enquiry's to my site usually lead to a sale. Not setting the world on fire but advancing worm culture slowly but surely. It is just a hobby but one day you never know lol. Hope you enjoyed my site. I try to keep it updated as I get smarter.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You better start making the big bucks soon Brian - you'll have two wives to support before you know it!

7. briansworms

Crikey the new Mistress has spoken lol.

Just went down stairs to do a little job and one of my beds is starting to do a walk out. They did it last night too. I need to reduce the numbers in that particlar tub but I am out of space. I took 1500 out of it today hoping that would help but apparently it is not enough. My Africans were looking to make tracks too so I think I best buy some more tubs asap. I have had a couple of sales lately where people have asked for 2,000 and have ended up with double that for the same price as I try to move a few out. I have put a hold on breeding the Reds till I clear some more stock. Checking my incubation beds today and they are absolutely packed with tiny worms which will all need more space in about 4 weeks time.

I think my new management system is working too well. Sales have picked up a bit but not as fast as the numbers coming up need it to be.

8. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian;

I'm really pleased that the new system is working so well. I should be finished my first read-through tonight. With rebuilding my garden and other damages around here,after the storm I've been a little swamped. Jim Hunt tells me my "garden" worms are European night crawlers. I ran accross some today in the garden that were at least 20cm and almost as fat as a pencil. They were working in my compost pile. Made me want to go fishing. I keep saying I'm going to take some time off for that butnever do. It just now occured to me that I haven't drowned a worm in more than 5 years. TOMORROW!!! Come rain or come shine, that ol' fishin' hole's gonna be mine. I'll sit on the bank, or a chair if it's wet. A rod in my hands. My ol' Shakespere, you bet. Tie on a new hook on my brand new line. Reach down in that old bait box of mine. I've got the best bait money can't buy. I raised it myself from a wee little fry....But now a feelin's done come over me. There's a tear in my eye and it's so hard to see. And the worm has stopped fighting. Its as if he knows I can't impale him. I'm not one of those. But I came to fish. That much is for sure. Now where the heck did I put that lure? lol

Ben

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Anything biting yet Ben?

10. briansworms

Coome on Ben, is there any FISH? I am glad you got Jim Hunt on here and over at the Worm Expert. Seems like he knows his stuff and we can pick his brains.

That bed that was doing the runner wasn't as packed as the other beds so I don't know why it was doing the walk out. The Africans I just split into two beds yesterday as it wasn't worth screening for cocoons. I used the areated manure to top them up. I kept the worms and their original bedding at one end and added the new manure to the other end. That why they can move into the new manure at their own pace and are less likely to wander off. I checked today and they are into the new manure. The weather has been slightly warmer here so I am hoping they will start breeding.

Tonight I went through a couple of Grower beds with the Lumbricus rubellus and there was some good size worms in there. I picked a heap of them out and put into a breeder bed. Not long now I hope and I can put some signs up at the Bait and Tackle shops. Eco I might be able to afford a second wife then lol

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You just let me know when that happens...

12. briansworms

Your a shocker. Surely a good sort like you must be taken? Hang on I haven't seen you yet lol. There is a pic of me under Cantact in my website. You might be disappointed. Short, hmmm sort of good looking but poor. Not sure after 37 years with one wife if I could be bothered to train another one. I love this stuff makes me smile. Ben is 83 so cant see him wanting to train a new wife either. Ok it is bed time for me. Talk tomorrow.:):)

13. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian;

I'm working on my third one now. Spent ten years on the first, then 45 on the last one. You've got to admit, I'm a very patient man. The first one kept chewing the leash through, and in 45 years I couldn't teach the last one how to fish. I think this one's a keeper. She's very mechanicly inclined. The first time I made a mistake, she fixed my clock. I'm having a problem with my computer. (seriously) This is the first time in two days I've been able to use it. Have to bring it in tomorrow, so I might be missing, unless I can use Willie's. (she's my current and last trainee, I hope) She"s five years my senior and doesn't want any more children, which is a good thing, since I don't want to have to go back to work in this ecconomy. Maybe I can talk her into it if things pick up later lol. Anyhow, if you don't hear from me for a few days, it's not because I don't enjoy our little chats.
    ......When you reach the end of your rope, just tie a knot and hang on!

Ben

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

What a dreamboat.

[​IMG]

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ha ha! He'll do... I can't fish though - does that mean I'm not wife material? Maybe that's where I've been going wrong.

16. briansworms

Tell me S.O.P your a bloke? That pic is about 2 years old. I still look the same. Now all the ladies will want me lol. Good old Ben is the surprise package. Lucky at around 86 years old the wife doesn't want anymore kids lol. Eco I don't fish either. You lot are shockers.

17. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Brian, mind if I get some free advice from you again?

So, as you know, everything is going quite well, worms are heavily populated and eating merrily. Not too many escapees, no issues. Until today.

I decided to harvest one half of the castings that I've been taking from during the Spring potting up stage (adding handfuls to potting mix mixes), so I bagged it up and hosed out the shademesh to clear any blockages. The water wasn't escaping, the drain hole wasn't dripping. I peel off the shademesh to reveal this:

[​IMG]

There was a million worms living in that, and that's just one half. It feels like it's been in there a while, it's fine (silt falling through the mesh), but it appears to be well worked over by the worms. Because I hosed it out, it was jelly-like in nature.

Here is the drain hole side. More of the same:

[​IMG]

And here is what I got out of it. Maybe a 1/3rd of a side, plus the jelly from underneath, one million worms and approx 10L of worm juice:

[​IMG]

Now, this may be a problem during a rain event if the silt builds up, and can't drain when rain is splashing in (it's covered but rain hits the nearby wall and splashes in from there). Clearing it was easy, I would of struggled if I had gravel in there, all I did was pull up each wood piece, hose it off, move all the half-processed castings to the opposite side and hose it again.

Would a fabric be better than a mesh? The worms can squeeze through the mesh I've discovered, but would a fabric block just that much faster? Would just getting rid of the mesh be easier, and having the bed in the bottom of the bath, with some mesh over the drain hole? I could reach in and maintain the drain hole easier that way. I figure having it in the bath without mesh would reduce some aeration for the bedding, as the mesh is raised from the bottom of the bath, and I can pull on the sides to give it a shake every now again.

I don't know. What do you think? That took me an hour to clean, and it's been done once in a year. Is that possibly as good as it gets?

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I can hear your garden crying out - gimme summa that groovy juice man! I have shade cloth at the bottom of mine (it's a laundry tub) and that drains freely - not that I've pulled it apart to see what is hiding under it.

You know that stuff looks so good you could use it as a face pack...

19. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

As I slopped it in there, there was some spashblack to the facial area.

I will throw it around when it rains, tank is down to under half and I need that for watering all the pots and newer plantings. Just playing the waiting game before I direct seed anything too.

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Do you think it is warm enough for me to try planting those coffee beans yet?