Hello I am Brian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Chris Willis

Chris Willis Junior Member

Hi again S.O.P. Brian pointed me in your direction re the YouTube video link. It's not the one I'm looking for though, although very interesting. I think I must have clicked onto a YouTube video and in my mind had it down as from the permaculture site.....it must have been when I was surfing around about worms. I'm interested in the mesh you have under the worms in this video. I have found that a lot of the worms in my farm are slipping through the holes in the layers...I have 3 of them...A Bunnings worm farm...PVC type.

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Chris just curious as to what you mean by slipping through the holes? The stackable farms are designed for the worms to move through the different levels. Thats why I suggested to you to put the 3rd level on. The worms will move through the layers to find warmer or cooler spots as required and also to find the food in the top layer. If the worms are going through to the bottom water collection tray your bedding maybe too dry.

3. Chris Willis

Hi Brian....the worms are slipping through to the bottom of the farm, where the worm wee collects. That's why I thought I should have some kind of shade cloth across the bottom layer to stop them from going down. I have the farm on a tilt (high at the back, low at the front where the wee comes through) I've removed the tap as I was told that they sometimes get blocked. Is there some way that photos can be posted? They say a picture is worth more than a thousand words :)

4. briansworms

Chris check your bedding to see if it is wet enough. For the picture, you click on Reply to Thread. When it opens you will see "Go Advanced" down the bottom right. Click this. Then you will have the option to attach any photos to your reply. Have a look and keep learning lol

5. Chris Willis

Thanks for the info re posting a photo. I'm learning something new every day :) To be totally honest Brian, I've been thinking the bedding is too wet. Today has been one of those days when I've hardly had the time to scratch myself, let alone go outside to work in the garden....BUT....tomorrow is another day. I shall take my camera out with me and take some shots of the worm farm. I may be worrying for nothing.....hopefully, my worms are just plain happy and multiplying outta sight. I have some big plans for one of our garden beds tomorrow....hopefully more castings to go in.
    As for worm eggs....I have no idea what to look for...maybe there's another Google search coming up :)
    I was chatting with a friend last night delighted to hear that she's just started a worm farm....quite a surprise. Anyway, she told me that the man who helped her to set the thing up told her to give the worms water every couple of days.....the instructions on my farm said to water them once a week....which is correct?

6. briansworms

Chris drainage is the key. If your farm is well draining then every couple of days would be fine but if it is not the only water now and then. Take a handful of bedding and squeeze it. If you get more than a few drops of water then it is a bit wet. Dig it over to aerate it Id in doubt take the lid off and just use old carpet over the top. This will allow better airflow over the surface

If you had open beds like a bathtub then every couple of days. The Can of Worms style I would only water once a week if that as they hold a huge amount of moisture. Just watch the wobbly legs on them as they can tip over from the weight.

I posted a pick of worm eggs. It shows eggs at various stages of development.

Attached Files:

7. Chris Willis

Well, that's interesting...I know that there must be eggs in my farm, because they've definitely multiplied....but I haven't seen anything like the photo you posted. I have to be up by 4am tomorrow morning to take someone to the airport....so will have a good look when I get home. A nice early start to the day :) Enjoy your weekend....Cheers

8. briansworms

Chris they are about the size of a grape seed. They range usually in colour from green to dark brown.

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Brian, interesting thread over at Reddit you may be interested in. Look for replies by 'K931SAR'. Below is an example of one question she answered for me:

10. briansworms

Thanks for the info. I looked at it on my phone today. I am looking after my daughters house till tomorrow so will have more time to check it out then.

11. briansworms

Thanks S.O.P. I have saved the links to my Worm Favorites. That lady seems to know her stuff. I am proud to say I knew a lot of it. I still have my " L " Plates on but am getting smarter by the day. Great to see people sharing the knowledge.

Do you like my Avitar? LOL

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I just fed my worms my hair (after a haircut) and I was reminded of this clip. I would say that the figurative 'Brian' are the worms but it could be Brian, the person...who knows. Even the ingredients are similar.

Warning: May be slightly so ever inappropriate if that sort of thing bothers you. Very, very slightly.

[video=youtube;lich59xsjik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lich59xsjik[/video]

13. briansworms

I must remember this when I have a hair cut. Not much hair left to cut. I did feed some of my worms bee cocoons and wax. They seemed to enjoy them so tomorrow I will feed them some more. A mate of mine is a Bee Keeper and he melts down all his old brood box frames to get out the recoverable wax. The old cocoons are what is left. Worms will eat us eventualy lol

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

How's my stocking now, Brian? I lifted the carpet up and the entire surface of the farm visibly heaved up and down an inch. At first, I thought there was a rat under the surface. But no...

[​IMG]

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I think are probably doing it right!

16. briansworms

That looks just great SOP. I could be wrong but I can see 2 African Night Crawlers in that picture. Top in the centre there is a purple worm. Distinct purple head and a white band just behind it. Then left centre about 40mm in there is another purple head and white band. Dont bother picking them out and breeding them as I don't need the competition. They are worth 10 times the price as the others if you can get them to full size.

I think you must be doing something right ceause that looks pretty good. I am stopping breeding the Red Wrigglers once I harvest my last 2 breeding beds next weekend. I would have once everything hatches about 200,000 or more and sales are dead at the moment.

17. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

18. briansworms

I can see about 4 Africans. 2 are certainly Africans, the ones I mentioned. I was going to say in the previous post that when my last lot of Africans arrived there was 2 other types of worms with them. No idea what they are but one is up to about 300mm long. Much much bigger than the Africans. I decided yesterday they needed their own bed. There was about 20 of them. They will breed over time and I can wait.

The other ones are fatter than the Africans and some are longer but have a rounded tail. I can see many of these in your picture. I don't know the name of these either but would love to know. Well about just over a month ago I decided they had to be all put in their own beds so I spent 5 hours sorting worm by worm. The really big ones I left with the Africans till yesterday. The other ones are breeding faster than rabbits. The original bedding the Africans came in now has thousands of young worms (Rounded Tail type) and I have other beds now from the ones I separated from the Africans where there is hundreds of eggs and young worms hatching. These worms I will use for my Reptile and Fish feeding market.

The Africans are not liking this cooler weather and there is very little signs of breeding so today I packed all of them in the one bed. I bought 200 for $50 and then I found hundreds in my other beds I had bought once before but I wasn't as smart then to realise that the other worms would out compete with them thus they never bred much or grew to full size. So today I put 1.3 kg of Africans into one bed which is a better breeding stocking density. If this doesn't work I will set up a bucket of water with an aquarium heater and pump, then pump water through a hose which will run under the bedding to warm it up.

So it looks like you have Africans, the Rounded tail ones which are also flat underneath and Red Wrigglers.

19. briansworms

Lurnbricus rubellus seems to fit the description. Different souces say different sizes but some of mine are bigger than 10 cm and almost 15 cm. Then there are others as small as the Red Wrigglers

20. briansworms

This is definately the worm and from the descriptionis going to really suit my Reptile market. $22 per 100 in the US. I am packing lots of nearly that many for $3.50 tomorrow for a new customer.

I could retire on this lol

About European Nightcrawlers:
    (larger quantities are not available at this time)
    The European Nightcrawler (Lumbricus rubellus) is larger than the Red Wiggler (Eisenia fetida) but smaller than the Canadian Nightcrawler (Lumbricus terrestris), making them the ideal bait worm. They’re also tougher, staying alive longer and much more active than other types of fishing worms. European Nightcrawlers are the only earthworm suitable for use as bait in brackish salt water.

Europeans are more heat tolerant than Canadian Nightcrawlers and more cold tolerant than African Nightcrawlers. When kept at 70˚ Fahrenheit, Europeans will keep alive and healthy from three to five weeks. At 60˚ Fahrenheit, they’ll keep even longer. In beds, they do well in temperatures ranging from 50˚ to 90˚ and can tolerate temperatures much higher or lower if their bedding is of the proper depth and moisture content. The ideal temperature is 51˚Fahrenheit. pH is of particular importance: a range of 5.5 to 8.7 is acceptable but they prefer neutral (pH: 7) soils.

European Nightcrawlers (Lumbricus rubellus) are usually reddish brown or reddish violet. They have an iridescent topside and yellow bottom. They have 95 - 120 segments and are usually three to six inches long. They prefer high organic content bedding.

Europeans produce about one egg capsule per week, if kept within the optimum temperatures and fed well. If they are not too crowded and are happy, they will breed faster.