Hello I am Brian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by briansworms, Oct 29, 2011.

1. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Hello All,

I was told about this site today whilst selling compost worms at the local markets here in Southport Qld. I am just a hobby worm farmer and not out to make a living from it but just enough to keep the hobby alive and some extra pocket money.

I believe in Karma and don't rip people off with prices or short change on stock supplied. Had a lady at the market last week who wanted a bucket of worms which I sell for $20 for around 1000. What she really needed was a $2 bag of horse manure. She left very happy with the $2 bag of manure and armed with the knowledge she needed to get her worm farm thriving. I dd $18 on the deal but I can sleep well at night.

I am also a Moderator on Australian Freshwater Turtles Forum.
    Well thats a bit about me and looking forward to futher particpation on this form.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome Brian
    Can you eat turtles?:)

If Khama really existed the head/CEO of the Commonwealth Bank or Lehman Brothers or Quantas would be in serious trouble.

Glad to have a worm and turtle expert here!!
    Worms are big players in Permaculture

3. briansworms

Thanks Michaelangelo,

I have one turtle who might find herself in the pot :):). I was picking up horse poo one day and as I went to pay I read the sign " Please do not steal as karma will get you" I have been honest ever since :grin::grin:.

Hardly an expert but learning every day in lifes journey, thats why I am here and to promote composting worms. I hope anyway. Thank you for the welcome

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So what species do you breed up and what do you feed them? Any tips for a really super good worm farm?

5. briansworms

I have Red Wrigglers and African Night Crawlers. The Africans are a great fishing worm due to their larger size but I am still breeding up the numbers so are not full size just yet. They take about 5 to 6 months to mature. The Red Wrigglers take about 4 weeks.

I use a simple open tub method with some old carpet as a cover. Those fancy commercial farms are too expensive and most people who tell me at the markets say their worms died in them. About 3 out of 10 say they work fine. I have found that horse manure as a bedding and food is great to get them breeding fast. I feed mainly manure as I don't have enough veggie scraps to feed them ( 8 Worm Beds and 1 bathtub ). I have found that Copra ( ground coconut kernel) is eaten very rapidly. You can also use Corn meal ,Oat meal and some Dolomite mixed works well to.

With worms surface area is very important rather than depth of bedding. 300mm tubs are deep enough but the more surface area the better. Start with about 2,000 worms in a bed of horse manure slightly damp but not wet and you are away. Did you look at my website? Very simple and basic.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Umm yes I should have looked at the website first I guess! I'm going to add a few handfuls of manure to my lot this week after your suggestion. They have only been getting garden weeds for a while and they don't seem to be breeding up quickly.

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

My worms are in a bathtub, in a completely shady spot, with a mix of woodmulch, chinese elm leaves, and 2 bags of horse manure. bazman was kind enough to donate a bag of worms to me and they seem to be moving through the bath easily.

I have blocks of wood placed in the bottom like a frame (reducing the depth) and a piece of shademesh separating that, which then hangs over the edges of the bath and two bath towels on top of the mix. After reading some bathtub guides on the net, some people add 'aeration' to the sides of the bath with an angle grinder. Brian, do you feel that is necessary? I've noticed the worms hang on the edges so I've been grabbing the shademesh and shaking air into the mix. Is that necessary either?

And re-bedding the worms? When is this done? Only when you want to remove castings?

8. briansworms

Give them a layer of about 100 mm. Just ensure that if it is dry you soak it in some water. They won't touch it if it is dry.

I have a bathtub set up where the horse is kept. It is just full of horse manure and worms. The waste hole is open so it can drain. In nature the worms don't get ventilation from below so none of my tubs have any holes in the bottom, only an open tap. When you find all the bedding has turned to castings which can be several months depending on how many worms and how much they are fed, it is time to change it. Dont feed the worms for about 1 week. Then feed them some copra as I mentioned earlier. The worms will come to the top to feed and after about 24 hours scoop them out into another container. Then empty the rest of your castings into a wheel barrow or similar. Let it stand for half an hour or so then start to remove the castings slowly. If you see any cocoons ( eggs ) save them. When you strike worms just run your hands over the castings to drive them down faster. I should have said do this in bright sunshine or light. Keep removing the castings till most of it is gone. Then you will find a concentation of worms at the bottom.

Put new bedding in your bathtub and wet it. If the bedding is fresh manure don't put it too deep as it will heat up . Start with drier stuff. Then put the worms back in and cover with newspaper and old carpet. Then the proccess begins again. You can use the castings in your garden or pots. You will find if you leave it more worms will hatch out from any missed cocoons so if you wait 4 weeks harvest these worms too. Hope that helps.

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Thank you Brian, very helpful.

To me, I can see how a chunk of carpet will be better as a lid, or even a door, rather than the towels. I'll keep waiting for something to fall into my lap. Thanks again for the advice.

Quick edit: After bedding change, when do you recommend food scraps to be added as a new food source (besides the bedding)?

10. briansworms

I use old hessian bags or newspaper and old carpet. This just help keep then from drying out at the top of the bed and keeps them up top feeding. The carpet also allows the farm to breath so to speak as worms aerate the bedding from the top Give them a week to settle in the new bedding and then feed the scraps. Just freeze the scraps till the worms are ready. Everytime you dig over your worms or put them in new bedding they will stop eating for up to 48 hours. Always best to give them a little time to adjust them they take off lol.

At the markets I get people coming back to give me feedback on how their worms are going and so far all has been very positive. I am no expert but am trying to learn just a little more each day and am happy to pass on any helpful hints. Just need more worm sales now as my bins are at capacity and I need to move some out. I just set up another bin of African Night Crawlers so I can give them more space to grow. They take a long time to mature. Worm Farming is interesting.

11. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Mate, if I was on your side and didn't have worms, I would purchase some out of appreciation of your knowledge exchange. Your prices seem good from my recent research (before I was gifted) so all the power to you.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Where do I go to get Copra?

13. briansworms

Produce or Stockfeed places. Even better if you know someone with horses. It is about $15 for 20 kg

14. briansworms

I should have mentioned earlier that copra should be dampened or mixed with a little water. Just come to me today that I hadn't mentioned it. Getting on and forgetful.

Which side are you on? I will soon enough get enough people interested in Worm Farming. On the 20th of this month I am doing a talk on Worm Farming and selling worms at the Gold Coast City Council's inargarul (spelling ?? ) Organic Harvest Day at Evandale Parklands at Bundall. I believe someone from PIR Permiculture is also talking. Should be a good day.

15. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

North Brisbane. 100km for worms seems a tad too far.

Good luck with the event.

16. briansworms

I am posting Worms to the Sunshine Coast on Tuesday. Overnight Express lol

I will need to write down some notes this week to keep me on track during the talk and demonstation. Just hope I don't make a fool of myself. Should be ok as I talk to enough people at the markets.

17. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

I bet you get all the monte python fans checking out yout threads !

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

He's not a worm farmer. He's just a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!!

;)

19. briansworms

Ok I confess, The Life of Brian is not all it is cracked up to be. I must admit I have never soon the movie. Ok a Hobby Worm Farmer. Just need more worm buyers to move from breaking even to a small profit lol.

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You should watch it some time. It is wet your pants funny.

Brian's Mum addresses the crowd in one scene and tells them all to bugger off because - "He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy."