Hello from Yunnan Province, China

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by bob, Feb 18, 2010.

1. ppp

ppp Junior Member

please post those photo's, particularly the wheat threshing! I grew up in a wheat + sheep area, but am trying to find ideas for low tech threshing of grains particularly pigeon pea.

2. bob

bob Junior Member

can't upload photos ??

Is there a reason I can't upload any more photos on my file manager? It says "2.79 MB of 976.6 KB Used"

cheers bob

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  4. bob

bob Junior Member

photos of bai sha on flickr

hi ppp,

have finally got some photos up on flickr so I made a special album for you on threshing around Bai Sha. Its a very productive time of the year, with the first summer rains falling (planting corn, potatoes, and sunflowers) and also the time to crop all the wheat (cut by hand, put into stokes, then threshed either at home or by the side of the road). If you want to me to find out or phot anything in particular let me know.

The flickr address for the photos is:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Bai Sha is very quiet, only three customers today, but had a great clean up of the kitchen which will probably last till the end of the week! I think its been a long time.

bai sha bob

5. wenshidi

wenshidi Junior Member

Dear Bob, Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away travelling on a couple of consultancy projects since my last reply. I am glad to hear that things are going well for you and that you are making some steady progress. I am hoping to be back up in Yunann later in the summer to do some seed collecting. Perhaps you will be able to give me the lowdown on which are the best orchards between Bai Sha and La Shi Hai, and maybe even beyond to Wen Hai...... In the meantime, I am out on the industrial coast so if you need any big city supplies, let me know and I can try mailing them to you.
    Chris

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

fantastic photos, seriously, thanks for sharing! Innovation at it's best! I might just try that for getting pigeon pea out of the pods! (though I might use a hand-pulled roller for starters!)

I look forward to more photo's!

7. bob

bob Junior Member

wheat mulch, bai jiu and wolfberry wine

hi I thought I might give an update on the garden. The rain has been falling nearly every day. As this is a sub-tropical monsoonal region the rain summer is the wet season. Also because we are at 2300 metres and near Snow Dragon Mountain (Yulong Shan) the weather is cool in summer and mild in winter, perfect! Well, definitely better than Bangkok or Beijing.

As the wheat has just been harvested and threshed I decided to use threshings from the wheat leftover on the side of the road as mulch. I bought a Naxi basket (see photo of local Naxi woman using one) and hopped an my bike and rode to edge od Bai Sha. After I collected the mulch and rode back through town all the old Naxi women yelled in unison "What are you going to do with that, where are you taking it!" they thought it was hilarious.

It is perfect mulch (photo) but I found has one drawback, a week later hundred of wheat shoots come up! This is ok though as it is a small garden and I turned over all the mulch by hand to weed it. I have continued to get seedling in the market at Lijiang so now am growing chilli eggplant, spinach, basil, parsley, cabbage, tomato and beans which cropped up naturally from a previous crop that someone had planted. I cut down some bamboo and made a trellis using local cross-hatch design (photo), which looks good.

I have never really gardened before, let alone in china, so I am learning. A friend from Yunnan came and saw the garden and started yelling, "everything is too close!" The next day I thinned everything down a bit.

I am also learning how to make fruit wines. Well, they are not exactly wines. They have a base of locally made bei giu which is made out of wheat and is very strong, from 40% to 65% alcohol. Oh my god! or Oh my Lady Gaga! as they say here. See photos of local bai jiu factory in Lijiang (photos). So you buy a five litre glass jar for $5, five litres of bai jiu for $6 an then add you favourite fruit of berries, in this case 200 gms of bright red wolfberries (gou), a handful of rock sugar and maybe some dried plums for extra flavour (photos). Leave and store in bottle for at least three months. If you can wait a year is a lot better.

Next, trying to make apricot jam. Any suggestions welcome!

Today we have had two customers at the cafe so far, yesterday twenty!

the writing for the novel is going well.

cheers

Bai Sha Bob

all photos for this blog post can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You've accidentally discovered green manure crops Bob!

9. kelvinator3000

kelvinator3000 Junior Member

Hello bob. Im coming to yunnan to look at places to start a permaculture project with my wife. We are coming at around the 15th of july and will stay in yun nan around 20 days. Is it possible to come meet you in naxi and have a look around? It seems we have a similar goal and we are still planning our trip so should be able to add a trip to your part of the woods.

My thread is CHINA-choosing my paradise to be. Permaculture in China. Asia

Kelvin

10. bob

bob Junior Member

welcome to yunnan

hi kelvin,

It would be great to see you. I will be up in shanghai and south korea till around end of july - but definitely in the last week of your trip come and visit me and have a good talk. I also have a great contact for you, Keith Lyons, a NZ guy who has been here for 14 years. He knows everything and about everything and is into the same permaculture philosophy. He also has a couch-surfing place to stay in Lijiang.

Please contact me if you need anymore info.

cheers

Bai Sha Bob

11. kelvinator3000

kelvinator3000 Junior Member

Cheers-that sounds great! Can i give you a call sometime this week? It would be very helpful to us i think. Also your contact Keith Lyons sounds good too. Is there a way i can contact him as well? If you dont fancy posting the number for you and him i can let you know my email.

I'm feeling more excited each day now. Iv not been to yunnan before. If we can really meet you and keith, we will need to go to hainan first, then come to yunnan for the second half of the hol to look around.

12. bob

bob Junior Member

hi

Sorry for not replying earlier. It has been a bit busy here.

I am going away till the end of the mont to Beijing and Shanghai.

If you arrive in he next few weeks please contact Keith Lyons. He is a wealth of information on all things Yunnan and also does guiding. He has lots of contacts in regards to what you are interested in and is a good friend. His phone is: 13769001439 and his email is keith lyons .

My phone is 15287279360 and email [email protected].

Ring me anytime.

good luck with all and hope to see you end of month.

Bob

13. sourdoughmudmaven

sourdoughmudmaven Junior Member

Updates and Visiting?

Hi!
    I am almost ready to buy a ticket to china (one way) and am hoping to visit permaculture farms. I am thinking of leaving colorado in June or July and staying indefinitely. I just spent the last 4 months getting Toby Hemenway to boulder, and planning that event, but now I am unsettled and need to figure out what to do. If you have found land or have contacts for people who are working on permaculture in China, I would love for their contact information. Also, it would be great to get updates of what you are doing! I have been practicing and learning permaculture for 6 years, I have created intentional community, I have worked on a permacluture farm in palestine, I have lived in china, and I am easy and fun to be around! Would you have room to have me hanging around for a bit?
    Thanks for any information!
    Tiffany

14. bob

bob Junior Member

Hi!

I have finally arrived back in Baisha for an extended stay after having to travel to Australia for my PhD studies. I am sorry if I have not replied to interested people who have been good enough to contribute to this thread. I have also had alot of back trouble with a herniated disk which put me out of action for a month and a one week stay in Kunming Provincial Hospital for Traditional Chinese Medicine which was a journey in learning all by itself. I was able to hop on my bike for the first time yesterday and it was so enjoyable to be able to be ride trough the beautiful fields of Baisha again. It is getting into winter now. The corn has been harvested and stored away, some winter crops of barley have been planted, winter vegetables are growing, mustard seed is being processed for oil, pigs are being killed for winter and yearly food, and lots of mahjong is being played to while away the hours. I can hear a big game going on now right next door!

I will try ro post some photos u very soon. I can also see that there is quite a lot of permaculture activity starting up across China now, particularly in Yunnan, so I will try to make some connecting links.

All the best for now

Baisha Bob

15. Finchj

Finchj Junior Member

Bob, great thread! Really enjoyed reading through and seeing the photos. Would it be possible to get an overview picture? Maybe someone can get up on the roof (if it is safe!)?

Thanks for keeping us updated and your energy is contagious :)

16. brandonabroad

brandonabroad New Member

Nice pictures and cool thread you got going here Bob.
    A friend of mine and I are both working at at Environmental Awareness/Education NGO based in Lashi Township right now, called the Green Education Village (GEC), operated under the Yunnan Eco-Network. Link in Chinese here, https://www.yunnaneconetwork.net.cn/index.htm
    We have been here for two months already, and are here for another two more (till June2012). If your permaculture site is operating (or needs help!) we would love to come by and check it out for ourselves!! I was hoping to find some sort of permaculture design/site in this region, and so have just stumbled across your thread/blog. Is there a way to contact/ visit you? My cell number is 15126099524, or you can just hit me up at [email protected].

Keep up the good work!
    Brandon

p.s we are avid bikers too! been doing short tours around the region! would love to meet more people to tour with!

17. Juu

Juu New Member

Hi! I just stumbled upon this thread, and how glad i am! I know it has been 3 years now, but i would absolutely love to hear how your permaculture projects are going in Yunnan by now! How are things unfolding for you guys? I fell in love with Yunnan a few years ago, so for me you are living the dream!! I would love to hear your feedback about your permaculture adventures in Yunnan, and if the permaculture scene is growing or not in that area!
    Thanks!