Hello from Utah USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Akal Dharam, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Akal Dharam

Akal Dharam New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am 36 years old and currently working as the farm manager for Cedar Springs Permaculture Farm in Holden, UT. It is a small 5 acre family farm located on a hilly spot with natural spring water.

I completed my PDC course last fall at True Nature Farm with Warren Brush. The owner of the Cedar Springs and myself are also offering consulting and design services in the regional area to help people get started growing their own food.

I have been reading researching and thinking about sustainable living and permaculture for the last 4 years and gradually making changes in my life to get closer to actually living the way that I want. I moved onto this property last August as an intern and decided to stay on as the farm manager this season. We are hosting a permaculture internship this season from April - October.

I personally have the goal of setting up a community living and farming location where I can help people grow their own food and build their own shelter. It would also be a teaching location where others can come and learn how to duplicate this model. I have always felt that their was something wrong in our society when we have to work so hard to provide just the basics for supporting life (food, water & shelter). And sometimes after all of that hard work, we still cannot provide these things.

That is a quick snapshot of what I am doing.
    Thanks

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Akal. You're doing good work! What's the average rainfall in Holden? (We're between 9" - 12" ... kinda dry)

3. Akal Dharam

Akal Dharam New Member

We are fairly dry here too. About 13" annually. Luckily this area has many springs to give us good quality water. from the nearby mountains. We have a spring right on our property that runs at 2-3 gallons per minute. We collect that spring water into an in ground cistern that then allows us to re-route the water anywhere. We have situated the garden right in the fall line of that spring water so the ground was already decent. Now we are working on improving the soil with the "Back to Eden" method.

4. LJH

LJH Junior Member

Hi Akal! I think you were in the same PDC class as my friend John Flatberg, no? John & Rhonda's place, Heartwater Farm, is just up the valley from me.

We get waaay more rain than you - average 15", ;)! But we're also blessed with lots of groundwater and springs, one less hurdle on the road to sustainability.