Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Roman Shapla, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Roman Shapla

Roman Shapla New Member

Growing up in the woods and fields of the Southern US instilled in me a deep connection to the natural world. My generation was the first to have wide-spread video games. As a result I was able to witness firsthand how online games, computers, and technology came to be a substitute for outdoor play. My passion now is environmental education in general and permaculture in particular.
    I received a B.S. in Anthropology with a focus on child rearing in non-industrial cultures. Shortly afterward my family moved to the Pacific Northwest where I began teaching kids permaculture and nature awareness through games, art, and activities I created.
    Since 2005 I have taught at free schools, community centers, public schools, art guilds, homeschool meetings, public libraries, ecovillages, city parks, and various events and gatherings.
    Presently I am the Youth & Schools Educator for a children's museum where I am able to introduce permaculture to over 80,000 annual visitors.

I am also completing my Master's in Education with an emphasis on creating permaculture-based curriculum for elementary schools.

In addition to classes and enhanced-learning child care throughout the Pacific Northwest, I also offer permaculture-inspired lesson plans, resources, and materials for children and youth.

https://childrenspermacultureguild.webs.com/kurent

I am also the founder and editor of Kurent: A Journal of Permaculture for Children, Parents, and Educators. A magazine of kid-friendly articles, essays, games, reviews, and resources.
    For more info, contact:
    [email protected]

I look forward to learning from you all,
    Roman Shapla
    Childrens Permaculture Guild

You can also find me on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/childrens.p.guild

2. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Looking forward to learning from you!

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Very nice! Welcome Roman from a fellow PNW'er. Looks like you're doing some great work with the kids. Your Kurent magazine is an excellent idea (and implementation!).

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member