Hello from Spain

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by jacqueline, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Hello All,
    I feel blessed that I found permaculture and the Forum: great community and info ;-))
    My name is Jacqueline, I'm Dutch and recently living in Spain (Altiplano de Granada).
    We are reforming a cave-house with a plot of land of about an hectare, with some fruit trees, like almonds, figs, apples, pears and an olive orchard. It's been a challenge to adapt to the new culture, language and climate and finding a way to implement permaculture. Spain is totally different than Holland, witch is almost totally flat with lots of rain and here in Spain we live on 850m altitude, winter freezing up to -12C during the nights and day temperatures of +16C and long dry and hot summers +40C.
    So we learn all the time ;-))
    Love, peace and light to all!
    oxoxo Jacqueline

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Jacqueline!
    Oh, please post pics of your cave-house when you get a moment.
    Do you need a special breed of olive in your winter temperature climate??

3. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Thank you ;-))
    I will try to post some pictures. About the olives....we have tried to found out what kind of olive trees there where.....
    but the locals just call them olives, so we gave up. Right now we still have to prune the dead wood and hopefully we have some
    olives this year. It is a pitty, because here in all the olive orchards the olives are biological and are handpicked. Instead of the province Jean,
    they claim to have the best cold pressed olive oil, but it's all industrial. So very hard labor and 1litre of oil is only 2 euro's.
    For me it is amazing that they still pick them as all the fruits including the almonds, the labor cost more than the wholesale price.
    Here in Spain it is economical just as bad as Greece. But here almost all have some land where they grow vegetables; the old way; with tilling etc...
    I hope that will change; I do my very best ;-))