Hello from Northeast Pennsylvania, USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Jon Bond, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Junior Member

Hello everyone! My name is Jon Bond. I live in Honesdale, PA and awaiting the springtime as it has been unseasonably cold here this March. I completed Geoff Lawton's Pemaculture Design Course last summer and am very anxious to put all of the valuable information and practices that I have learned to good use on a 3.5 acre piece (old pastureland with a beautiful gentle slope and a lot of rocks) and my suburban site and residence which is slightly smaller than a quarter acre.

So far, I dug my first trenched hugul mound with swale in the fall and plan on digging another swale when the ground thaws. This year I am cover cropping, building soils, planting perennial pollinators (herbs+flowers), and focusing on water catchment. In the autumn or the next spring, I will plant fruit trees. I am very excited to become a part of these forums.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  3. Permaculture Engineering

Permaculture Engineering Junior Member

Hi Jon!

Welcome to the site. I'm not all that far from you in Warwick, NY. My parents currently live near Hamlin, so I'm very familiar with the topography (and ROCKS) that you're dealing with there. I'd definitely be interested in keeping in touch, comparing notes, etc.

I completed my PDC 2 years ago through Green Phoenix Permaculture, and after hearing nothing but amazing things about Geoff Lawton's online course I want to take that on -- but just don't have the time currently.

Best regards,
    Chris Harrison

4. LJH

LJH Junior Member

Hi Jon,

The Northeast USA does grow some might fine rocks. Beautiful country.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Any relation to the English Bond? James Bond… (queue theme song….)

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

welcome aboard!
    got any hicorey there??

7. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Junior Member

Yes. We have chicory (?). It is quite prolific in old pastures and roadsides.

8. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Hicory as in pecan!
    There are allegedly some good cool climate ones!

9. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Junior Member

Hi Chris,

I apologize for it taking so long to respond. I have been using every free minute to work on both of my properties. So far, I have put in 200 strawberry plants and planted a small amount of trees and shrubs (mulberry, elderberry, seaberry, black locust). I am familiar with Hamlin and am also curious about your progress on your land. I teach not far from Warwick in the Minisink Valley School District.

All the Best,
    Jon

10. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Junior Member

Sorry for the confusion. My in-laws have a bunch on their property. I am not familiar with the variety though I plan on looking into it and will let you know. Other than their property, I have not seen any on my own land.

11. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Plenty of HICKORY here in SC. The squirrels like to try to store the nuts in our garden when they mature. I'm having to take one down on the south side of my garden as it is really too much shade. The young leaves make excellent mosquito repellent. The wood is great in the barbie.

Benjy