Hello from Missouri USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by poorboy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. poorboy

poorboy Junior Member

I've been into anything regarding sustainability for a few year now which of course led me to permaculture and here. Hoping to learn from others and reciprocate. Bought 8 acres of woods a year ago and will be working it into shape starting this Spring.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Excellent! Welcome poorboy, are you in northern or southern MO? If I recall my short time in Missouri correctly, you'll be having a wonderful selection of hardwoods in your forest. Keep up updated on your progress, we'd like to follow along.

3. poorboy

poorboy Junior Member

Thanks, I was in South Central but found property a couple of hundred miles South of St Louis. Still considered South. Oak/hickory/Oak. And more Oak. White Oak. Good timber and shittake growing media. Working with what I've got but that's the point isn't it? As I clear, I'm trying to get some use out of everything. No pile and burn here.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Ah hardwoods. When I was in the Pacific islands all of the shipments came on oak pallets! Where I came from, all the pallets are made of scrap fir (softwood), so the oak pallets were prized as dunnage and wood carving materials.
    And I remember that you ought to have lots of clay for cob projects! Such riches of natural materials.