Hello from Germany (emsland)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Maia sue, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Maia sue

Maia sue New Member

Climate:
    Central europe
    Hello all,

I am a 32 years old and live in Germany with my husband (but we are from the Netherlands). We have bought an old homestead/farm here a few years ago with a small piece of land wich we hope to transform according to permaculture principals. We do it all slow and steady depending on budget and time, mostly short on time since we just had a baby.
    We do it mostly our selves, just the two of us wich makes it slow too. But its ok, we see it as a 10-year plan.

We are doing this to change a little piece of this planet for the better. And because we feel like we dont fit in in the suburbs.

We've been watching a lot of permacuture video's and been reading books for a few years now, but we are by no means experts. Just experimenting in our garden :)

I am here because i am looking for new social contacts/ friends. I'm having a hard time finding like minded friends here in the daily life. So thats about it i guess

Love

Maia sue

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hello Maia Sue and welcome,
    Congratulations on your farm and new addition to your family! Slow and steady is practiced by many of us not having the funds for large earthworks and broadscale, multi-level plantings.
    I also have difficulties finding like minded folks in daily life and the forums provide the joy in sharing with many widely dispersed people practicing Permaculture (heh) that is missing. Enjoy your time here. Would love to see what you're up to.

3. Maia sue

Maia sue New Member

Climate:
    Central europe
    Its not too spectacular compared to what others here are doing but ill elaborate a bit.

Firstly Its not realy a farm, it used to be but the old folks who used to own it rented out the farmland. The homestead was sold seperatly from the farmland. So we have only about 6000m2 with the old farm buildings. It comes to a house, some old stables (wich we plan to take down) and a old shed. Its semi-rural, were just outside a very small village here (one gasstation and a church) and have neighbours in walking distance.

We wanted to "get away from it all" for years now, in 2012 we were involved with a group of people trying to set up an eco-village. But it was a lot of meetings/talking and took forever. Then when there was another delay because some one had personal problems we decided not to wait for others people and start looking around ourselves.

We had a very small budget an alltough i originally wante to build a small woonden house ourselves we decided not to, scared i guess. Its hard to get around all the regulations. So we looked around for a property with as much land as we could get for out money, but allsow a bit rural, not near a busy road, we had a whole list of demands . We found this place early 2013 and loved the place, So we bought it.

The plan is to pay of the morgage (6 more years to go) then then have a "semi-retirement" in wich we only work for about 30 hours between the two of us. Or maybe find a way to maken income of out property, that would be awesome.

In the coming 6 years we set up out house and garden to our wiches.

Thing to do in the house/ buildings:
    - Build illegal rocket stove as main heating
    - renovate old bathroom and get new official water heating system, preferably with solar heater. We have a new spot for the heater So that the piping to the hot water points will be only 2-3 meters (now its like 15 meters or so, Its a waste)
    - get better isolation and probably ventilation, Its an old house and we have some problems with humidity.
    - we intend to build an outdoor kitchen with rocket stove and wood oven, we have the right space for it. Plan a combined buildings with chicken house, its ingenious . The old chicken house is falling apart and will be destroyed, well be getting no new chicken before that.
    - we need a new septic tank system, we do intend to get a compost toilet but its illegal here. So we still need to get an up to date septic tank intend of what we have here.
    - maybe a small thing but were about to get a new frontdoor to the house. Riht now the curtain freezes to the door in the winter.

We allready :
    Repaired a roof
    Got our solar panel installation up and running
    Renovated a small part of the house

Garden

We have a lot of plan here.
    There used to be a lot of lawn and a small piece of forrest-like garden.
    We have a small greenhouse (yay tomatoes☺) and intend to redo the vegetable garden with raised beds before next spring. This is for annual crops.

The piece of forrest-like garden allready had some fruit trees and needs some human interferrance. We wanted to clear some bigger trees and maken place for existing and new edible species. Well do that latet.

Right now i have my minded set to get rid of the lawn on the frontdoor side of the house.
    I wanted to do a chicken tractor kinda thing but we have no chickens at the moment and we dont intend to build the housing any time soon. But the lawn needs to die first. So i thought ( probably very un-permaculture like) to tarp it with plastic and let it die down over winter. Then in the spring put in the species i wanted there.
    Its a piece of about 60-70 m2, quite small. Om the easte side of the house, half shaded. Parly under big oak trees. I want a edible landscape with scrubs and bushes, not too high. I allready have some plants ready, some berryschrubs and i have bern busy getting plants that grow well here and multiplying them. So i hope this work.

If so we have a lot more land to turn ☺.
    But i like to start small and practiced.

Well that is a lot of text ☺
    Oops.
    Im still trying to find out how the forums work, not sure what to post were but ill learn.

And pardon my english, Im not native.
    Plus on my mobile wich gives some strange corrections some time .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Excellent plan! Well thought out and sequenced.
    One option to plastic over your lawn might be sheet mulching with cardboard and compost.
    Thanks for your post ... if you ever get a chance, we'd love to see some photographs.

5. Maia sue

Maia sue New Member

Climate:
    Central europe
    Good point, ill look in to the sheet mulching.
    Ill add some photo's later ☺

6. Fred

Fred New Member

Climate:
    mid temperate
    Hello Maia,
    Greetings from south Germany. Buying a old house with adequate land is maybe the best option to fit permaculture into german land use regulations. So I Think you already have a good starting point.
    Using plastic to die out weed's is not completlely un-permaculture style. Martin Crawford is using this technique to start a fruit forrest as he describes in his book: Creating a Forrest Garden. Have you considered to use the sheed-mulch system, using cardboard or newspaper instead of plastic, despite ohter benefits this would make your approach even more permaculture style :D. ... Oh well, Now I see Bill already made the same proposal.

Finding permaculture minded people in Germany is a topic on its own, but there are some projects and sites in the net, so there they must be somewhere...

best Regards,
    Fried

7. Maia sue

Maia sue New Member

Climate:
    Central europe
    Thank you!
    You know, i actually have that book :)
    I will look it up, but sheetmulching is an option too. Ill look into it some more.

Yeah im kinda the odd one out here in Germany, being a vegan (more plantbased), cloth diapering, three hugging hippy