Hello from drouin, Victoria

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Marko, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Marko

Marko New Member

Climate:
    Sth east gippsland region of Victoria
    Hi all, have been floating around the forums and Geoffs work for some time now.

In mid 2015 I bought a property in Drouin with the intention of reforesting the whole block using permaculture principles and utilising it as a retreat centre at the same time, which complements my holistic health coaching perfectly.

I have a small summer veggie garden that's doing relatively well and recently got 40 chickens, currently free ranging in an enclosed 1/2acre paddock and have been building a chicken tractor to model Geoff's chicken tractor on steroids video.

I'm a 4th gen beekeeper, so naturally one of the first things we did was set up a pollination station where we have 15 hives already setup on the and doing their amazing work.

It's a large and exciting project, looking forward to connecting with you all and sharing in all the amazing insights

Marko

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Marko and welcome!
    How large is your block? I would assume of substantial size to support 15 hives ... how does one go about determining property size/plant density in relation to the number of hives a block could support?
    Would love to see photos of your work sometime.
    = )

3. Marko

Marko New Member

Climate:
    Sth east gippsland region of Victoria

Thanks 9anda1f !!

It's a 40 acre block, that's a good question!! The most effective way we've found to determine this is mainly trialling the area by giving the bees new combs to build/fill out and tracking how quickly they do it, this is the best indicator of pollen/nectar flow in the area.

So far it's showing to be extremely positive which is good news! However, my intention is to have the property so full of flowering trees, vines and shrubs that they don't need to leave the property to collect nectar, this would be ideal as it would also eliminate the concern of them pollinating something that's been sprayed and potentially getting sick!

I will upload images soon! :)

9anda1f likes this.
  4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Thanks Marko,
    We're trying to establish a yearly succession of flowers that would provide honeybees with food on-site (off site flowers are a long ways away as we're surrounded by dryland wheat) on only 20 acres. Our bees would also be competing with multitudes of native pollinators so I've been thinking that we'll need massive amounts of ongoing flowers during each year, a tough project in a semi-arid environment (with really cold winters).
    Maybe this just isn't the place for honeybees ...