Hello from Brisbane, Australia!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Liss_polytelis, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Liss_polytelis

Liss_polytelis New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical, coastal
    Hello!
    My husband and I live in a coastal town in SE QLD on a typical small suburban plot. I stumbled into permaculture quite by accident several years ago and have been hooked since :D

We have a lovely chicken coop in the backyard that houses our 5 chookie-girls. Our two handsome muscovy boys wander the backyard hunting for flies and other tasty bugs.

I have a beautiful recently installed shadehouse that houses most of our salad crops, herbs, berries and dwarf fruit trees - I spend a huge portion of my day in there potting and just admiring all the new growth.

So excited to find a place to chat with other enthusiastic like-minded people!

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Welcome Liss!
    Does your shadehouse allow you to continue growing salad crops during your hot summer months? Although shade helps us here, our salad crops bolt early in the high heat of summer.

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  3. Grace Pignatello

Grace Pignatello Member

Urban Site Manager, Homeschooling Mom
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Desert
    Welcome Liss!
    I would also like to know more about how you shade. Such as, what structor do you use to hold the cloth.

4. Liss_polytelis

Liss_polytelis New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical, coastal
    Hi!

It's a heavy duty galvanised weldmesh, and the shadecloth is green 50%. In hindsight I probably would have gone 30% if I could have, absolutely no problem with wilted vegetables or sunburning. There's an irrigation system on the ceiling but I haven't bothered to automate it as I only turn it on when I feel the need to - maybe 10 minutes every 3 days if we haven't had rain.

I've only had it since january but most of the veg are doing very well. Lettuce has bolted though :( but the kale, sweet potato, bok choy, corn salad greens, chard and spinach are great.

In fact I'm pretty sure the sweet potato is bent on world domination O_O

Cheers

Grace Pignatello and 9anda1f like this.