hello from Alison at Cape Trib

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by capetribber, Oct 31, 2013.

1. capetribber

capetribber Junior Member

I live at Cape Tribulation in Far North Queensland

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Hi Allison , plenty of exotic fruit trees grown up there .. a great place to live .

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Welcome Alison. What are you growing? (apart from everything really quickly because it is the wet tropics)

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Oh I just saw your other post - you really are growing everything!

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Welcome to the forum Alison :)
    I just checked out your For Sale advertisement ... the property sounds fantastic! I didn't see a link for any photos? I'd love to see it :)
    I hope you find some spare time to contribute here - you must have an absolute wealth of information with all you have done :)
    Best Wishes with the sale & your retirement plans :)

6. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Alison was editor of our wonderful ' Rare Fruit Review ' for many years ..

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I definitely need to hang out here more & get up to speed! Thanks for pointing that out aroideana :)

8. capetribber

yes - shorts and singlets all year round

9. capetribber

thanks helen

I am still trying to work out this forum. I put up an album but don't quite get how to do a link yet. Also how did you get a photo up - when i try it says i don't have this access right.

I have started to reflect more on what I have learned and to make the time to write and share about permaculture, rather than just 'doing' it. I went back to read some of my early stories about the farm and the observations made over the years, and realised I should be posting links for others.

10. capetribber

I have just 'retired' as editor. A new volunteer has taken it over - Anita Lee - and I am really thrilled to see this changing of the guard. It's time for some new blood. I started the RARE FRUIT REVIEW in 2005, as a way of bringing back together all the rare fruit council members, and capturing their knowledge. The organisation was going through a decline at the time, with branches all threatening to breakaway or disband. Hopefully it will continue to exist.

11. capetribber

And we still have trees fruiting for the first time. The most memorable was the Langsat Duku which took 25 years to produce its first fruit - when I tasted it I thought - Damn! We should have planted 100 of these - beautiful taste. We have just had a first fruiting of the Maprang - also known as the plum mango, though no relation to mango. Pictures are here, if you want to have a look on our Facebook Album

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I've been on this forum for years & I have spent the afternoon tearing my hair out trying to upload a photo ... sigh ... so I'm not the best one to ask.
    It's always wonderful to have more experience people paving the way for new comers - or at least shining a torch :) ;)

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

lol ... life's a bit like that isn't it?
    Just off to check out the facebook page - if my satellite behaves nicely that is :)

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

There are a good smattering of lovely shots on Alison's website (see the ad in the for sale section). I think you need to have made a certain number of posts before the photo posting thingy turns on (gee that was technical!) so try again after you've chatted for a bit.

I discovered purple mangosteens when I was in Cambodia last year. My word they are good! The local woman who's house I was staying at was puzzled - no matter how much she fed me (fabulous food it was too) I would pop across the road and get a bag of fruit every couple of days and get tucked right in whenever I could! White pomegranates were my other discovery. She thought we must be crazy when I told her that they sell for about $3 or $4 each - I was buying a kg for $1.

I have recently planted what I was promised is a subtropical mangosteen. Fingers crossed…. Though it has copped a beating in the dry spring we have had to date. Hopefully it'll rain soon.