Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by edcolmar, Jul 30, 2012.

1. edcolmar

edcolmar Junior Member

I'm new here, and wanted to say hi!

I was introduced to permaculture and forest gardening about a decade ago. I finally got some land (about 1/2 acre) to work on in the high desert of New Mexico 3 years ago.

The first year, I just studied the systems that were already in place, and worked up a general design. Over the following two years I started planting natives, and perennial plants in the upper part, and started developing an annual garden below.

Now I have bees, chickens and hundreds of species of plants!

I built a website recently to help share garden designs and plant knowledge. I'd love to hear what you all have to say about it.

Here is my garden

https://www.plant-life.us/garden/view/agxzfnBsYW50LWxpZmVyEQsSCkdhcmRlblBsb3QYjicM

Love + Respect
    Ed

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Welcome Ed and well done with the garden. One of my biggest disappointments was when I had to give away my bees. Only had about 6 hives but I enjoyed working with them. The local council said they had to go.

3. edcolmar

edcolmar Junior Member

Forcing you to get rid of your bees. Wow. What was the justification for such a stupid and short sighted decision?

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Ed

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Gee, that's a bit rough, Brian. I assume you are located in what the local council considers an 'urban' area? Here, in Vic, and even in 'urban' areas on lots of less than 500 sqm, residents can still have at least 1 hive (see: Section 5, below). We live on just over 4000 sqm, 'peri-urban', and we can have up to 60 hives (provided they are positioned more than three metres inside the post and wire fence). I wonder if your council has changed its policy of late? I'd be happy to look into it for you, if you like.

DPCD (2011) Apiary Code of Practice

Cheerio, Markos

5. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Yes I am in an Urban area and I had 6. The neigbour complained as he got stung while moving and they are attracted to the light at night thus another reason to complain. My wife had a bad reaction to a sting one day too so they had to go.

I can laugh now but I got a few stings around the ankle one day and that night was in great pain so went to the after hours doctor. The first one said put Stingos on it, so I went to another one. He said how many stings did you get and I said I lost count after about 40 lol. That will teach me to wear boots and thick socks. Normally it is T shirt, shorts and thongs I did wear a net over the face. Back then too I had 2 shoulder operations and lifting the supers ( boxes) was a real struggle.

Another laugh we came home to find the whole yard had been mowed, no idea who did it but someone got the wrong yard. Anyway it looked great except for about a 1 metre strip in front of the one hive I had left. They never came back to ask for payment.