Hello + Dumpster Diving

Discussion in 'General chat' started by drrdave27, Mar 29, 2009.

1. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

Hi everybody, being new to the forum i would like to say "G'day Mate" :lol: Im in Bris, Inner north side, orriginally from Beerwah, Sunchine Coast. Electrician by trade.

Interests include Permaculture, electricity and its generation, uses and future. Live in a rental but trying to lessen the burden that I pose to the one that gives life. Being younger and debt free I want to do somthing that helps reverse the current inefficent use of resources particulary in the energy generation field. Also have a keen interest in gardening, silviculture, and hollistic managment.

Anyway enough of that stuff.

Is there anyone on this forum from Bris who likes to partake in a spot of dumpster diving? I have done a little bit myself and it is ADDICTIVE! However I like the idea of going with at least one other person.

My favourite dumpsters are the ones at my work. Army guys just love to throw out good stuff when the next model comes out or when they get posted to the other side of the country and are only allowed to take a certian ammount of stuff with them. (I am not in the Army).

Having said this I would like to expand my horizions and eventually stop hitting the Army dumpsters. (affriad of some army biggot getting his or her nose up and possibly affecting my job)

I only have a small hatch of a car (have been using the work truck so far but am not really allowed to drive it after hours). PM me if you need a dumpster diving "buddy". Two bodies make for quicker and easier handleing of "the goddies" :lol:

2. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Re: Hello + Dumpster Diving

Mate,

Wow! Amazing...that is what I'd call fun!!
    and you co-ordinate it and execute it like a mission.....mate, you're a bona-fide pioneer.One day they''ll write books of your exploits..
    I'd want to wear camoflague to distinguish myself.

Mate 'you could do tours'..eco tourism....back packers would do this particularly if you issued a certificate. "Dumpster Diving Downunder", "Triple D tours"??
    franchise it man!....whoa...pull up :( ....on second thought don't,,,
    as it is now,,,it is kinda pure,,,innocent....money could get between you and your art - know what I'm saying? :D

If I was not resolved against the money system,, I would take the baton and run with that :arrow: ...paid, for your art.

I have unrestricted access to a dump,,,but there is something alluring about a dumpster - like it is more 'intimate' :lol:

If I lived anywhere near a dumpster I would be there tonight.
    ta for smiles,
    regards, Kimbo

3. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

A dump is the ULTIMATE dumpster.

4. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

would have thought more people here would be into dumpster diving, looks like i'll have to fly solo for now.

Common stuff that is in huge supply includes,

building materials
    books
    good food (tinned, packaged and fresh)
    clothes
    enormous ammounts of mulchable materiable
    but the best stuff is the stuff that makes you think "what kind of person would waste such a good item that is in perfect condition?"

some of my best finds of the year so far include, a mountian bike with front suspension, a perfect condition tv stand with cupboards, 2 Blue barrels (101 uses for these, made a worm farm out of one and am making a seed ball machine out of another), Washing machine motor for seed ball machine (see my post https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10299. some stuff I keep other stuff i give away as presents or donate to charity.

Anyway have a good weekend everybody :drinkers:

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Have fun Dr Dave. If you were still on the Sunny Coast I'd be keen to try it - gotta do everything once in your life!