Helens Birthday

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Terra, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Curramore1

Curramore1 Junior Member

Primary Producer
    Curramore, Blackall Range, S E Queensland, Aust.
    Climate:
    Sub-tropical to temperate 2000mm rain, elevated 350-475m
    Hi Helen,
    Good to hear from you. I enjoy spending my birthday celebrations the same way that you have written.
    How are you surviving the big dry? Scratching the bare bones here, just lucky to have a couple of places 20 km apart each getting an occasional sprinkle. Hot, dry northerlies this afternoon. Been pregnancy testing for a client all morning in the 'dale, stinky hot in the Valley just before noon today, had to have a dip in the dam at the Conondale farm to get the shit off me and cool off for a bit. There are worse ways to spend a few hours in the day.
    Yes, Maleny township has changed a lot, we moved our main place of residence from our farm in town in Maleny in 2006 to our Curramore farm, too many superannuated, retired geriatrics with too much spare time sharing their unrequested opinions. Hard to have a couple of hundred acres in town and a gazillion backyards encroaching on you and chucking all their garden waste and other over the fence, their cats chasing your birds and dogs eating your calves etc. Still an awesome motorcycle blat through the hills with 5000 others treating it like Philip Island at the same time, just dodge the grey cyclists riding 4 abreast and the 40km an hour rubberneckers and the fun police with their flashes for cash machines. Great place to stop if you like a latte and a scone and wish to buy a trashy trinket, still some good local music to listen to and some good healthy food cafes. There are about five sub-cultures which co-exist here concurrently, probably only three existed in the 90's and 2 in the 70's, and only dairy farms, forestry and a butter factory prior to that.
    114 years this year since my mob moved here, most rellies have moved away, only about 60 or 70 left in the locale, many to Tasmania, some to the mining culture in the north and west since the latte and café racer set payed them so much for their little old weather board homes and vege. gardens. Many are in the "Dunrootin and Dunmoovin villages". The housing estates are replicas of the northern suburbs of Brisbane and the occupants do the daily fuel burner each way to the big smoke spending 15 hours or more of their lives a week listening to the radio tapping their fingers on the steering wheel and doing the mobile phone facebook and text rapport.
    Ooh, Ah! Looks a tad cynical when I proof read, still it is a nice place to live with little crime and a caring community.