Heirloom and Organic Seeds in NSW Southern Tablelands / ACT area.

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by PeterD, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

I'm going to be setting up a new property hopefully the end of this year or early next year and wanted to get into touch with any seed savers, heirloom/organic growers in and around the ACT region and adjoining NSW Southern Tablelands area. I've used commercial seed from Bunnings and nurseries in the past but want to get away from that and go back to actual quality and taste of heirloom varieties and keep them going and propagating.

If anyone knows sources or are in the areas mentioned or nearby and wants to give a shout out, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    PeterD

2. highlandguy

highlandguy Junior Member

Hi Peter,

is there any specific you are looking for? I have mostly herbs/vegetables along with some natives. I'd be interested in comparing notes in terms of what grows well in the tablelands and ACT region. A website I find useful is https://www.gardenate.com/

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

There are a number of Australian Seed companies selling heirloom seeds. Eden, Green Harvest, Diggers, The Lost Seed to name a few - all have websites. Strictly speaking they aren't local, but they can post to you for not very much. Find some gardening mates and swap seeds with them. Join the local Permaculture group - they may have a seed bank, or you can make those garden friends there. Do a seed savers course - or at least by Jude and Michel's Seed Savers Handbook (they hang around here too...). And a propogation course if you can find one.

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    There is Green Patch at Taree or COGS Canberra Organic Growers that might suit. We can teach you propagation and seed saving at Purple Pear if you are near the Hunter Valley any time.

5. seed savers

seed savers Junior Member

Hi Peter
    About purchasing seeds from Bunnings or small seed resellers. I favour varieties that have been growing in one area for a while and shows adaptation to the local conditions, the grow easy for you. Local adaptation that self seeds are even better. ( parsley, lettuce, florence fennel, japanese mustard and many more have done that in our gardens for more years we can remember) So get a good seed start from neighbours or from your local seed network (www.seedsavers.net) and get going. I feel i am repeating myself a bit... there are other bits i wrote in this website and on our site.
    About seed companies, organic or not heirloom or any other commercial branding let me say this. It is all about tracing them back to origins where they were grown. Impossible job to do. None really knows like the current financial crisis tracking down bad debts where they originated.
    Seeds you buy come from a chain of wholesalers semi wholesalers, to resellers that end up in most of your organic seed suppliers.
    An indication is to read on the lablel or the seed catalogue the certification authority. if it is USDA that is the dep of ag in the usa who certified organic seeds. Diggers get (some ) of their from the usa, Eden does that a lot too, and not only from the usa read the label.
    Organic certified commercal seed often get pathogens (stored at too hight humidity cause were contaminated before hand.
    Not enought time to explain it all but dont trust me just check it out for yourself and trust your neighbour rather then seeds resellers.
    I think that GREENPATCH in taree produce or used to produce all of their seeds ( you see it is much cheaper to buy kg from overseas then produce in Oz. money is in retailing with nice home made look seed packets. Seed selling is a hard game. seed loose viability fast and get infected by fungus etc etc. like hot potatoes. must go. best seed is next to you. if you cant find some then get anything and adapt it and pass them on which is what we have done with our org for 25 years. it works for many people.
    michel@seedsavers,net

6. seed savers

Nothing precious about seeds for what we do with it at least. Mucking around in the garden. It is all a matter of trial and errors ( errors you eat as well)
    seed love to adapt so start with anything you have around. pinch marigold seed anywhere and replant and observe. Save plenty saw plenty, rogue them, leave the best, muck around with colours as i do now with marigolds i love to have around) spit a water melon seed in a dish. dry them replant. see what happen. if it is a hybrid you will know it by the mix population next year. no worries and enjoy the experience. Next time you will be the expert giving advise. and why not we all do it. Michel

7. seed savers

the old Myrtle Charteris used to give us lots of amazing seeds in the 1980 1990;s that she would be picking everywhere around in Brisbane then she founded BOG with her son. her seeds are still going around all over oz.
    greenpatch used to grow some of hers as i recall.

8. seed savers

hey talking about sources and original Michael Boddy lives in your town. he is amazing old huge guy. he used to write column for the Austrlian called the kitchen talk and did too many articles on irradiation so got the boot and settled in your town. say hi to him if you know him. his partner is Janet Dawson she did the cover for our book in 92. He did the editing for clarity for the book ( now you know why dont you...?) he was a reknown comedian in the uk in the past as well. he turned to the gardens in 1980's.

9. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I like the cut of your jib seedy (may I call you that?) I am glad someone edited your book, otherwise I would get too excited and bouncy when I'm reading it. On the flip side, I'm glad they aren't editing your posts here, because I get all excited and bouncy about seeds when I read them lol

Is it just one of you posting or do you both share?