Hawaii says NO to Big Agriculture

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by helenlee, Jun 20, 2014.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Go Hawai'i !!!!

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    agreed! i've never been there, but i think if i ever did go there i'd never come back...

4. Robsy

Robsy Junior Member

I've been to Hawaii twice to visit family and friends that live in Oahu. It truly a fantastic place and I loved everything about it. But I don't know enough about Hawaiian politics. From what I can tell, people who actually grew up there or have lived there for long time are very concerned with keeping Hawaii as it is. But where do politicians stand on the matter. I imagine they have the same values as the many people I met on the island, but that might not be the case. I'm just wondering if there is enough power to overrule the people and bring Monsanto and GMOs in.

Can anyone in Hawaii clue us in?

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It was overturned some time ago.

https://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-judge-overturns-gmo-crop-curbs-in-hawaii-1409009260

[HR][/HR]What I find odd as someone who lived in Hawaii and saw literally Japan start to destroy Oahu is why that island and not the others that have passed similar laws? Big isle maybe big, but a large chunk of it is inhospitable due to lava fields which are still active.

Which leads me to a scam, on the same big isle there is CHEAP land for sale for housing. Only problem is, which they do not tell you is that it will be covered in lava in the next 50 years according to vulcanologist s.

I miss living there like Guinan misses the Nexus.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Front page on the Ag Weekly for the NW is "The test case for GMOs in Hawaii" It seems despite once again the people voted no, a judge let it happen on Kauai.

On a personal note, this make me so sick to my stomach because of the deaths of endangered species & extinct species since the Hawaiians came to the islands. That's right, I went THAT far back.

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Since, as I see it, large numbers of Hawians are for the ban, can't they restart the movement? Is it possible (and more than likely, probable) that the judge overturning the ban is in someone's pocket? Or, giving that judge the benefit of the doubt, perhaps, at least, too foolish to be making decisions for the people, and be asked to step down. I didn't see the judge being identified in the short article, but I'll dig a little deeper to satisfy my own curiousity.

Uncle Ben

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I'm not done reading but each stalk of corn is barcoded.

More later when I am done reading

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Tourists now find themselves going through corn Fields instead of sugar or pineapple. According to the lying article Hawaiians are in favor of GMO crops, I know my friends there and that line is the furthest thing from the truth. Syngenta owns over 3000 acres or so they think they own ( you cannot own land in Hawaii)... there was more, but I am starting to have a panic attack over this.

10. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Pako. Sometimes we just have to stop, take a few deep breaths and say the alchohlic's prayer. Then, if we can change anything, take it from there. If not, change what you can where you are, and know that you have made a difference.

Love is still the answer.
    Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

11. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I was playing an online game with some friends from UK, North Carolina, Russia, France, Germany, and other US states when I suddenly had a epiphany I would love to talk to a few Hawaiian lawyers about.

Here is my premise.

I, and other Native Americans and certainly Hawaiians consider the Aina (land) sacred, which is fundemental to the religion. Now, god gave us all the plants and animals to use such as in Genesis 1:29

With that being the case for Christians as well as indigenous cultures like Aborigines, Native Americans, Hawaiians, then GMO crops are an abomination and affront to god and the spirituality of a lot of people.

Thus, if the US and other nations need to be compliant with other religions such as Islam, then Monsanto & Syngenta (and other companies) need to be accountable for flagrant disregard for the religion of indigenous people world wide in addition to Christians, & other religions that take Genesis 1:29 to heart.

As such, the several fields of gmo corn on Kauai is an abomination of the Aina (land) on the way to the sacred falls known as Wailua Falls.

I would SO love to discuss this with a lawyer.

12. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Nice try, Pako. But don't you know that you would have to take it from the Muslem's religion to get anywhere with your crusade. Or perhaps you could find something like that in the gay and lesbian handbook.

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

They use the same bible and are under the same laws like thou shall not kill, covet, etc.

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

And even lesbians are opposed to GMO….

15. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Uh oh....Did I step in something smelly? I usually check my shoes before I walk into the house. Chooks and all, you know. And I've tracked a little in here in the past, unknowingly. I meant no offense to anyone, anything or any group of people, except, maybe those with the power in this country. All hail the King of oboma nation.

Love to all,
    Uncle Ben